Chapter Forty One

When you woke up again, Tōshirō was still asleep. He looked so peaceful.

A cough snapped you out of your thoughts. You snapped your head over to make eye contact with Shunsui himself. Your flight or fight instincts took over immediately, but when you went to move you felt a searing pain.

"Stop! I'm not here to cause any issues... I just wanted to apologize. Please, (Y/N)." Upon hearing this, you were curious and chose to sit and listen. You checked to see Tōshirō was still passed out by some miracle.

"Go on." You snapped.

"The way you defended our entire soul society after they all turned against you moved me. Things between you and I might have not worked out, but you and Tōshirō have something special which I could see myself. I am sincerely sorry for causing all of these issues. I am sorry for your loss, also."
The words flooded out rather slowly and mechanically, like he was struggling to find the right words. His last words rang through your head...

"My loss...?" You looked over and saw Tōshirō sleeping. "Is Rangiku okay?" You began to panic, not knowing exactly who your loss was.

"I assumed you knew... I'm so sorry. Rangiku is fine, (Y/N)." His eyes dropped to the floor.

You looked down at your belly and realized what the empty feeling you had been enduring must be. Your hand came straight to your mouth to stifle the gasp that came out. Before you knew it, sobs were beginning to shake your body. They hurt, but the pain of knowing you let your child die hurt even more.

"I'm sorry (Y/N)! I'm so sorry! Please don't c-" Shunsui was cut off by Tōshirō's hand clasping around his throat.

"Get out. Now." Tōshirō might have been smaller, but he looked up at Shunsui with so much anger.

Without a word, Shunsui sauntered out of the room. Tōshirō was by your side within seconds. His hands wrapped around you and held you close as you continued to cry.

"It's okay... that beautiful snow you saw was all his doing." Tōshirō looked at you with both admiration and awe.

"He?"

"Yes, he was growing freakishly fast and absorbing too much of your nutrients and energy. That was no ordinary baby. I hate to say this, but we can always try again later down the road. I have no doubt in my mind I'll be spending my life with you." Tōshirō's words comforted you a great deal.

A knock at the door made you and Tōshirō stiffen up. The head captain himself came in shortly after.

"Hello Captain, hello (Y/N). Shunsui told me you were both awake."  He immediately began to talk, not allowing you or Tōshirō to put in anything. "I am here to inform you that the soul society as a whole voted to cancel any punishment for you guys being together. We have decided to break traditions and bend the rules. Losing your child seems like a fair enough punishment, the pain you feel is immense I am sure. Furthermore, the actions (Y/N) took to protect not only Tōshirō but also all of the soul society showed that you are both truly dedicated to our society as a whole. Love is love, and I have decided to support yours. I am sorry things happened the way they did." The captain made no facial expressions as he finished his little speech.

You and Tōshirō just sat there, mouths gaping.  You felt the world life off your shoulders for the moment.

"Thank you, sir. Thank you so much!" You couldn't contain your happiness. You tried to get up, but the pain sent you back down immediately.