CHAPTER 4: Scars

The fire was enormous. It almost covered the entire hospital, and its heat was violently scorching. People were yelling, screaming, running, crying. Todoroki had never seen an event so terrifying since the Training Camp Villain attack.

"Mother? Mother!" Todoroki scavenged the row of patients, desperate to find his mother's body. Alive. One of the nurses spotted him and came up to him.

"Sir, leave this area at once! It's not safe!" she said, "Call the ambulance, or get Backdraft!" (The fire hydrant hero). All the nurses were heaving bodies by bodies out of the building and giving them treatment right away meters away from the hospital. Staff were telephoning the ambulance and hero departments, asking for quirks that could put out the fire. Todoroki frantically darted his eyes across the area but did not see any sight of his mother.

"Sir! You have to leave! It's too dangerous" cried the same nurse in frustration. Todoroki glanced back at her.

"I'm not leaving."

"What—"

Todoroki sprinted towards the hot fire with high speed. Everybody gasped in shock. One of the nurses ran after him.

"Hey, you! Stop! What are you doing?"

"Saving you!" Todoroki cried back. Once he was only a foot away from the fire, Todoroki took a deep breath in and reached his hand out, palm just a hair away from the tip of a flame. When he exhaled, he could feel energy travelling through his bloodstream, flowing towards his open hand. The energy was cold, which was exactly what he wanted. He looked up at the building to estimate its measurements and then closed his eyes.

A child in the crowd spoke up:

"Wait...I know who that guy is!" he pointed towards Todoroki, "I saw him in the Sports Festival!" Murmurs filled the crowd until one woman cried out:

"That's Endeavor's son! Endeavor, The Number 1 Hero!"

In realization, everybody gasped and widened their eyes. Endeavor's youngest son, Todoroki Shoto was standing before their eyes, in front of a fire. The nurse who was running towards him stopped in his tracks.

"I remember!" he said, "Todoroki! As I recall, his quirks were fire and...."

"Ice." Todoroki finished. Then, out of the blue, a giant wall of ice emitted from Todoroki's palm and enveloped the entire hospital, setting the flames to their graves. Todoroki breathed out a breath of frost. The air was suddenly cooler, ice crystals fell from the building, and the fire was gone.

Cheers filled the crowd, and people were jumping up and down in happiness and contentment. Even the nurses were crying of joyfulness. Some of the conscious patients were smiling and cheering along. However, some people were crying and mourning for the ones they lost in the fire. More people made their way to the hospital and called for names.

Todoroki melted his ice with his fire quirk and the hospital was back to its normal condition. He wiped the sweat off his forehead. He instantaneously remembered why he was there and ran back to the row of patients, only to be interrupted by the multiple people that began to surround him.

"You're so amazing, Todoroki!"

"That was so impressive!"

"As expected of Endeavor's son!"

"Marry me!"

Todoroki pushed past the citizens in an urgent manner, since he had no time to waste. He ran up to one of the nurses. The nurse beamed when he came up to her.

"We cannot thank you enough—"

"I'm looking for my mom. Her name is Rei. Rei Todoroki. Please," he insisted, "Tell me she's safe, and—and alive. She's my mother."