CHAPTER 18: An Unfair Battle

On your mark...get set...go!

"Hey, Midoriya, my man..." the yellow-haired boy said with a chuckle, "Go easy on me, will ya?"

It was early in the morning, and the sun bathed on his glistening, gold hair, reflecting the black lightning streak near his bangs. He was wearing his Sports Festival Uniform, blue with white letters that spelled UA over the jacket. He got into a nervous fighting stance, paying cautious attention to the boy in front of him, fluffy green hair and bright eyes. 

"Sorry, 'easy' isn't in Aizawa's dictionary," responded Midoriya with a sly grin.

"Oh come on! Just for today," said the yellow-haired, looking over at the other Class 1-A students with an anxious glance, "Kyoka's watching, and I don't want to fail in front of her."

"Then try at me with all you got," said Midoriya. Then, he abruptly ran, and in a second, he was only a few inches away from the yellow-haired boy. The boy panicked, and clumsily dodged to the right.

"H-Hey! I'm not ready!"As he was regaining his balance, Midoriya grabbed his open right arm, and swung him onto the floor, making him cough up some blood. 

The second combat round started. As Midoriya ran towards him, Kaminari was prepared and threw in both elbows to create a defense barrier over his chest. However, instead, Midoriya slid under the gap between his legs and caught him from behind. He held the boy's hands behind his back and threw him onto the ground with a heavy thud! More blood. 

"Sorry about this," said Midoriya, and he twisted Kaminari's elbows just a little. He groaned in pain. With effort, he struggled with his hands to free himself from Midoriya's grasp and promptly jabbed two fingers on Midoriya's knee.

Sok!

"The winner is Midoriya Izuku," Aizawa came in with a bored voice, "Kaminari, obviously, you need to work on your reaction timing, and defense skills. Come see me after class today. Okay, I'm going to go die in a hole—I mean—sleep in. Goodbye, class dismissed."

Iida and Kirishima soon came to help Kaminari stand up after the long battle. Midoriya apologized for the 5th time, and promised to make up for it, but Kaminari waved it off jokingly.

"You're a cool guy, so in a way, I'm kinda honored to admit defeat." he laughed. Midoriya smiled and stood up, but with a little more effort than usual. Why did his knee feel so heavy all of a sudden? And why did it hurt so much?

Kaminari looked at him.

"In any case, are you okay, Midoriya?" he asked, "I know I barely even scratched you, but, you know, just in case." He continued to stare at Midoriya, but not with the same, friendly gaze he always adopted. No, his eyes were grave and unsettling, as if he was expecting a serious answer.

"Um, yeah, I think I'll be fine," lied Midoriya. Then, Kaminari smiled sweetly and left with Iida and Kirishima.

Midoriya was unable to use his quirk for the following 2 days.

..................................................

"Hello, blondie," Kaminari cooed.

The blond was shaking. Breathing heavily. He couldn't think straight, he wasn't sure what it was that was overpowering his body. Fear? Or, maybe...rage.

Fuck, I feel dizzy, he thought. Meanwhile, Todoroki was looking in his direction, desperately trying to make eye contact with the blond.

Please run away! Please! His eyes begged, even though he knew he was no longer in Bakugo's vision.