CHAPTER 16: Dabi

Hmm, Hmmm ♪

It was a splendid day indeed. Sunlight shines through the door like a ghoul's grin, yet gives the shutters a halo of golden ray. That itself is why the morning is both a sinner, and a saint! Like me. I finish frying a beef patty on the pan and gently place it between the prepared hamburger buns. Nothing beats homemade fast food for breakfast!

I sense a new aura near me. Is it my darling Himiko Toga? Has she finally agreed to eat breakfast with me after I gave her those new tubes of blood yesterday?

I poke my head behind the wall, disappointed to see a tall, black-haired man sitting at the dining table alone, with a glass of beer in his left hand.

"Oh! Dabi!" I exclaimed cheerfully nonetheless, "Good morning, isn't it?"

"Oh God," Dabi says with a groan, "It's you."

"It's you" I mocked playfully, "Come on, you can't even say my name now?"

Dabi merely gave a disgusted grunt. He was never really one for conversations, this I knew. Which was why I liked teasing him so much about it.

Without even asking for permission, I grabbed my plate and sat down right next to him. He scooted his chair away in disgust, which was pointless because I only inched closer, putting a "friendly arm" around him. He couldn't peel away.

"How's your family, Dabi?" I asked with a smile I knew he hated.

"Shut the fuck up."

"Wow, someone's in a good mood," I chuckled.

"What about you? Where's your family?" he asked.

"I don't have one. They abandoned me."

"Figures."

"Oi, oi, is that how you talk to your underclassmen these days?" The ends of my curved mouth twitched in annoyance as I glowered at him. He returned the same look.

As you can tell, the relationship that Dabi and I own...is, well...shit. Even though I was part of the League way long before he, he acts like I'm a newcomer, like a recruit. Can you believe that? Me, a newcomer! You should've seen the look we gave each other the first time we made eye contact. If I wasn't trying to keep my reputation, I would've gorged out those exasperating eyes, scrunched up that pretty face until it was nothing. But I could also tell...Dabi was strong. He would make a fine vessel to the team. An idiotic bitch, but fine.

A loud alarm sounded from the room, which made Dabi jump and throw his blue flames at the direction from the source. Meanwhile, I beamed.

It's time.

"Dabi, I'm going out," I said as I shoved my dirty plate towards him, "Wash this for me, yeah?"

Instead, he gave an angry growl and threw the glass plate into the garbage can with a clash. He watched as I made my way out of the kitchen.

"Must you set an alarm every time you leave the building?" he grumbled, "Even if you left forever, no one would care." He rested his head on his chin as he chugged down another glass of beer.

Just like me. I left them. They didn't care. And I don't care about them.

I don't care about them.

I don't.

Suddenly, the man heard noticeable shuffling in the lower floor, and a loud click! which made Dabi suspicious. He yawned, finished his drink, and then made his way downstairs.