CHAPTER 31: Time is of the Essence

Next day

The day commenced with the chirp of a bird choir, perched on top of a maple tree. The sun shone high and proud in the sky, pedestrians walking back in forth through the city. It was a big day for Yaoyorozu, so unfortunately, there was hardly any time to enjoy the peace and calm.

But first, she had to pay someone a visit.

"Midoriya."

Fortunately, he was released early from interrogation. The court decided that the poor teenager was only victimized by Kaminari, and was therefore claimed innocent. Furthermore, he didn't seem to have harmed any civilians.

Yaoyorozu had texted Midoriya to meet her at the Hiroshi Park benches, at the side of a sparkling fountain. The benches were shadowed by tall, birch trees. When Midoriya saw the girl approach him, he waved his phone in the air while smiling.

"Hey!" said Midoriya cheerfully, "I got your text." Yaoyorozu looked him up and down. The teen had bags under his eyes, as if he hadn't slept in days. He also had visible scars on his arms, Yaoyorozu assuming it was from when he was kidnapped. She felt a pang of sympathy for him.

"I'm sorry to interrupt you on such short notice," she said.

"It's totally okay!" said Midoriya, "I mean, I was pretty beaten up after the whole 'kidnapped by Kaminari' thing but the doctors showed great kindness!" he pulled out a cat sticker from his pocket, "Look, they even gave me this sticker for being so cooper—"

"That's great, Midoriya, I'm glad you're back to your true self," she said with a smile, "But we've got more important matters to discuss." And it was true. It was only a matter of time, and her plan had to follow a specific timezone, or else she can kiss all chances of success goodbye.

"Wow, someone's impatient," Midoriya snorted sarcastically.

"What?"

Just then, Midoriya realized what he had said and covered his own mouth.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry," he said, "You see, the villain personality thing hasn't completely disappeared, and sometimes I say rude things that are completely out of my control—"

"It's alright," Yaoyorozu brushed it off, "Just listen to what I have to say."

She told him her plan in detail from start to finish. Even though she was still a little angry at Midoriya for having suggested the dangerous mission that injured Todoroki in the first place (she had a right to be mad), now was not the time to deal with useless emotions. If her plan was going to work, she was going to have to toss those emotions aside and cooperate with everybody. Everyone.

When Yaoyorozu finished talking, a male voice appeared behind them.

"So, Midoriya, are you in or not?" he asked.

It was Ojiro, the tail guy, but he wasn't alone. The rest of Class 1-A stood by him (except Kirishima and Todoroki), watching them. Most of them were all dressed as casually as possible (as Yaoyorozu had instructed), but Bakugo was in his entire hero costume.

Midoriya's eyes widened.

"Were you guys standing there the whole time?" he asked.

"Doesn't matter," Sero shrugged, "Come on, dude, you joining us?'

Midoriya thought about it for a bit, his finger pressed against his chin.

"I don't know...it seems dangerous..." he murmured.

"Oh, so your whole 'talk to Kaminari' mission a few days ago wasn't?" Mina laughed, "Bakugo filled us in."

"Come on, Deku!" Ochako pressed, "Yaoyorozu is superrrrr smart! And this plan might actually work!"