CHAPTER 19: Bakugo's Humiliation

"He's coming. I can feel it," whispered Todoroki, removing his palm from Bakugo's face "Think we can outrun him?"

"I'm not leaving," responded Bakugo with a glare, "Not after I get to rip him apart."

Todoroki stared at him as if he was mad. How can he say that?!

"No! We-We can't fight him, Bakugo" whispered Todoroki as he tried to catch his breath, "You saw all of it! He injured the both of us without even using his quirk once!" He persisted, "He's not the same, goofy Kaminari you knew in the past! He's different!"  

Todoroki peeked behind the barrels. Then turned his head to look behind him. Just a kilometer behind them was an old, dark forest, a shortcut leading towards the hideout. That was going to be their way out. 

Todoroki turned his head forward again. Something's not right.

If Kaminari was giving his all, he would have used his lightning quirk to catch up with them and they'd have nowhere to run. But Todoroki knew Kaminari, the villain Kaminari liked to challenge himself, most likely a challenge of defeating both him and Bakugo without using his quirk. He was probably taking his time, approaching them slower than usual in order to add tension until the best moment.  

Todoroki bit his tongue in frustration of the mockery. 

He acts like it's so simple. 

Unlike Todoroki, the determination in the Bakugo's eyes didn't waver for even a second. The blond was staring straight ahead cautiously, as if prepared for a sneak attack. Todoroki bit his tongue harder. Why couldn't he just cooperate? I knew I shouldn't have brought him here.

"Look," continued Todoroki, "I know you're mad about Kirishima, alright? And I know you're mad about him...betraying us to become a villain," He clenched onto Bakugo's arm, and pulled him back down, "But we can't defeat him. Come now, we should be safe if we go through that forest." 

Bakugo violently shoved him away with all his might.

"I'm not going with you! I'm not!" screamed Bakugo back, "How can you not see this?"

"See what?" inquired Todoroki impatiently

"Fuck, it's not because I think I can win, exclaimed Bakugo, "It's payback for everything he's ever done to me—to us, dammit!" He violently shook himself out of Todoroki's grasp, "First, he pretends to be someone he's not for a whole year, lying to the people who grew close to him while still not giving an answer!" He grabbed Todoroki's shirt collar and began to shake violently.

"How do you think our whole class felt about that!? How do you think Eijiro took that, huh? How much do you think I had to suffer watching Eijiro grieve over this...this fucking villain that has lied to him since preschool? Then, he got fucking attacked by him a year later! And Earjack Girl, God, Earjack Girl. She doesn't even act like a fucking person anymore!"

Footsteps were growing closer, beginning to sound more like an echo in a cave. Bakugo still hadn't let go of Todoroki, angry tears forming in his scarlet eyes.

"You know what else happened ever since he joined the stupid league? ME. Because of him, I got kidnapped by the League, and then...All Might...All Might..." He ducked his head down, "All Might almost died saving me. I was so weak...but if it wasn't for Sparky, I...I..." his voice cracked as he spoke, almost like a whimper, "He's hurt so many people. Innocent, All Might, Eijiro, Earphone Jack...and now...you're asking me...to run away again? Run away from someone that treats our lives like trash?!" The blond looked up. Todoroki was dumbfounded, clearly never expecting to see this side of the delinquent, his softest side. He always thought the blond was known for asserting his dominance, but here he is...sitting on the ground, tears rolling down his cheeks, hopelessly clutching onto Todoroki's shirt as if asking for permission to let him go.

Can't you see how much I hate him? His eyes screamed.

Slowly and steadily, Todoroki removed Bakugo's arm from his shirt and stood up. At that moment, he realized his new mistake. This isn't right.

"F-Fuck," said Bakugo as he wiped the tears from his cheeks. Clearly, he didn't want Todoroki to see him so vulnerable. 

Bakugo wasn't asking for any sympathy. He was bottling up his feelings for so long, and when he encountered Kaminari, the glass finally broke.

I really am an idiot, thought Todoroki. He turned towards Bakugo and threw the insulator sheet and invisible ink at him. I'm an idiot.

"You'll need this," Todoroki said. Bakugo's eyes widened.

"You—"

"I'll be in the hideout with Midoriya, so you know where to find me," he said, "Until then..." he placed a hand on Bakugo's shoulder, "Give that bastard an extra punch for me. You got that?"

The ends of Bakugo's mouth formed into a malicious grin. The sadness in his eyes was gone and was returned with determination.

"That goes without saying" he grumbled, "And you. You'd better get your precious Deku out of that nasty place."

"That goes without saying," Todoroki repeated with a triumphant smile.

There was a quick pace of shuffling and Bakugo stood in a prepared fighting stance, two explosions emitting from his palms. Todoroki stared at what was in front of him, too hesitant to move. Then, one thing was for sure. Kaminari's silhouette was visible. Todoroki turned faster than light, and sprinted away.

"GO, BAKUGOOOOOO!" he yelled passionately, making sure Bakugo could hear him loud and clear as he dashed in the opposite direction.

Only 4 words ran through Todoroki and Bakugo's minds as soon as they separated.

I'm counting on you.

Todoroki ran with full confidence, a confidence he never had in a long time. A confidence that let him power through the forest without hesitation, without worry.

There were so many reasons for Bakugo to escape fighting Kaminari. But none of them could overpower the hatred that Bakugo had developed for the villain. None of them.

Obviously, he has a chance of instant death, thought Todoroki, But...am I supposed to let him run away from someone like that? Someone that humiliated his and so many lives like they didn't matter at all? Would it really be called a successful mission if I take this chance away from Bakugo?

Todoroki clenched his teeth as he kept running past branches and plants. He was probably getting cuts on his face from the sharp edges of the leaves, but he couldn't care less.

Of course not! I'm sorry, Midoriya and brother. Whether you like it or not...I'm coming for you alone. 

Phew...another chapter done. This came out quicker than I expected, but when it comes to a sad Bakugo scene, my fingers just don't stop typing. 

Ahh, don't we all love despairful scenes like this. Obviously, this scene was kinda inspired by Deku vs. Kacchan Part 2 in the anime. You know which part I'm talking about, the part where Bakugo started crying about ending All Might, the part that tore our hearts apart.

I loved that scene a lot because it was a completely different side of Bakugo that no one expected to see. I don't want to rant about this too much so I'm just going to leave it like this: I love the development of his character like ahhhhhhhhhhhh I love him. 

Fun Fact about this Story: Though this chapter is inspired kind of by Deku vs. Kacchan, I also used some HxH vibes (Very good anime, highly recommend). 

Kk stay tuned for next chapter!

I haven't decided if the next chapter should be Bakugo vs. Kaminari or Todoroki's rescue mission for Midoriya. Hmm...decisions, decisions.....