CHAPTER 13: A "Pleasant" Surprise

Panting as he ran up the stairs, Todoroki finally reached the destination he desired.

Knock Knock Knock.

Todoroki slammed his fists at Midoriya's room door, making sure he would hear it. He tried at the knob but, unsurprisingly, it was locked. Being the cautious person he is, Midoriya has been keeping his door locked ever since the Kaminari incident. In order to be safe.

But you need to unlock your door now, Midoriya, thought Todoroki, Or we'll all be in danger.

"Midoriya! It's me, Todoroki!" he called, letting the anxiety in his voice slip out.

"Just give me a minute, Todoroki!" Midoriya's voice called.

"Look, I know we already planned on leaving tomorrow for the hideout, but we have to leave now! Like, immediately. I can't tell you the specific details right now—I'll tell you everything on the way—but all I can say is that Kaminari is back! Jirou saw him in her room last night. And..." he gulped, "He's a fooler. He was fooling us all this whole time, and he will continue to fool us if we don't stop him now!" Todoroki let the cool surface on the door rest on his forehead, "I have a feeling Kaminari did something last night. I kinda...saw him on my balcony last night when we were looking at the stars. Well...I thought it was fake, but now that I know he visited Jirou, I just know he was up to something."

There was silence from Midoriya's room. Todoroki knew it was a lot to take in, so he gave him a few seconds to think about it. Then, after an awfully long silence, Todoroki cut in again:

"Are you ready?" he asked impatiently.

"Just give me a minute, Todoroki!" he said back. Todoroki groaned and placed his back on the door.

"That's literally what you said a minute ago," he said. Then, the realization hit him. Wait. He was right. That was literally what you said a minute ago. To confirm his suspicion, Todoroki waited for another minute. Then, he heard it again.

"Just give me a minute, Todoroki!" it called again. No. Not Midoriya. It.

Todoroki released a geyser of ice towards Midoriya's door and the door collapsed onto the floor with the ice. He charged into the dorm room to find...nobody. Nobody except an old phonograph on the sheets of Midoriya's bed.

"Just give me a minute, Todoroki!" it called after another minute.

Oh No.

............................

Kaminari's POV:

Surprises can be anywhere.

Todoroki Shoto's surprises are everywhere.

When you were a kid, what kind of surprises did you like? The good surprises, right?

The kind of surprise where you would follow your casual routine, go back home, or go to your friend's house. Everybody knows something you don't. Then you don't expect anything to happen until the big moment....BLAM! All the hidden party poppers crack open, confetti is everywhere, and everyone is screaming Happy Birthday loudly, and you're just taking the time to process everything that had just happened in one moment.

I had a surprise like that once. It's not like yours though, mine was the totally, totally weird kind. And I'll tell you this, surprises can mean so many different things. Very, very different.

See, my surprise was a birthday surprise too! I know, right? How very exciting, right? Wrong. Well, probably wrong for everybody else at least. Good for me.