CHAPTER 10: Kyoka (Part 1)

This is also a long one, so I'll be separating it into multiple parts as well. 

*flashback*

"So...what'd you think?" the yellow-haired boy asked her. He was rather nervous, shaking as he shifted his body from side to side and waited for the girl's response. It was a late evening, very few cars occupying the road. She picked up one of her strands of purple hair and started twirling it freely.

"Eh...it was fine, I guess," she sighed with a yawn. The yellow-haired boy was crushed and filled with disappointment, until he caught the girl giggling.

"Jirou! You're messing with me again!" he exclaimed in surprise. Jirou's giggles turned into uncontrollable laughter. She laughed even more when she saw the look of embarrassment and relief on his face.

"Sorry, I can't help myself, not when you look that nervous!" she chuckled, wiping a tear from her eyes, "Seriously, what's up with you? Your heart was beating the entire concert!" She lengthened her earphone jack to show him she had been listening to him.

"Well, of course it would be...This is our first date, you know?" he fidgeted bashfully, "I invited you to this concert 'cause I thought you'd like it. So if I blew this up, I'd feel like I'll never forgive myself."

"You make it seem like the end of the world," Jirou laughed. Then, she made a funny face that was supposed to resemble the boy, "'Oh no! My first date didn't go too well! I'm doomed for life!'" she imitated dramatically in a humorous voice. The boy threw her a playful elbow jab.

Jirou intertwined her fingers with his, and together, they walked through the city lights, basking under the light of the shining stars. They talked about the concert for a bit, but most of the walk was silent. Two awkward teens after their first date. 

"Jirou...am I...special to you?" the boy asked out of the blue. Jirou's face turned red.

"Wh-Where did that come from all of a sudden?" she stammered frantically. He chuckled at her reaction as they continued walking.

"I mean, I dunno, I wanna feel like...I can be unique in some way," he said with a smile, "I know, I know. It's selfish, but, as a guy, I want to be something... to someone. To be better than all the other guys you've dated or liked. I want to do something they haven't, and I want to stand out. I guess that's one of the reasons I tried so hard for this one date," He carefully brushed a strand of hair from Jirou's forehead and felt her burn under his touch and his words, "'Cause you're special to me, Jirou."

Before she could explode, she let go of his hand and walked slightly in front of him. The girl resisted the urge to attack him with her earphone jacks.

"I-Idiot...don't say stuff like that," she muttered awkwardly, "It's so weird."

"Look who's nervous now," he joked as he matched her walking pace, "C'moooon, Jirou, just gimme a straight answer. Am I special?" There was a hint of seriousness in his voice that made Jirous shudder.

Feeling like she didn't have any other choice, she sighed and turned to look at him.

"Well. Sure," she said, "But for starters, how about you stop saying 'Jirou' and start calling me 'Kyoka'?" The boy blushed.

"W-Wait, you mean b-by your first name?"

"Well, you said you wanted to do something that no other guy has done to me, right?" she asked casually, "No guy has ever called me Kyoka, so..." her face turned red again, "I guess...I'll give you permission to call me that...if you want to..." she hid her face under her hat and waited for a response.