CHAPTER 36: U.A. Barbecue (Final)

At the hospital (one that's NOT burned down):

"M-Mom..."

"Sweetie? What are you—"

Todoroki pulled his mother in a tight embrace before she could finish. More and more tears welled up in his eyes and he didn't bother to wipe them as they flew off his cheeks like waterfalls.

It really is a miracle.

His mother's wounds healed immediately after consuming the neon vial Kaminari had given Todoroki the other day. At first, he didn't know if he was going to let her consume it. After all, he didn't know if it was going to work at all. But Kaminari had placed him in a test, a test of trust to see if Todoroki would think about placing his faith in a former villain. However, after hearing the guy's final recording, he knew Kaminari had no reason to lie to him, and always had good intentions. Besides, the vial felt increasingly heavier in Todoroki's pocket every day.

His mother's burn scars had disappeared within 10 seconds of consuming the liquid. She fell out of unconsciousness and lifted her eyelids with a jolt. It was then when Todoroki started to cry.

"Oh, Shoto," said his mother, stroking his back gently, "I'm so sorry. You must have been so worried."

"Mm...guh...I..." he couldn't form the right words. He felt like a little boy again, resting in the warmth of his mother's cradle as she murmured soothing words to him.

He was so happy.

So, so happy.

.............................................. (time skip yay)

Three weeks had passed since the hearing of the recording. It was time for the holding of U.A.'s annual barbeque party, although no one was really in the mood to celebrate. Besides, ever since Aizawa's little "punishment", they've been flooded with homework every single day. So when they got the official invitation, naturally, everybody was inclined to refuse.

Todoroki was still on suspension so he didn't know about the barbeque until Aizawa called his home phone. His homeroom teacher didn't give him time to decline the invite.

"Look, I know you and the class have been through a lot, and I know you're still not through with this 'punishment' I've set up for you," he said, "But you've got to learn how to calmly move on. As a hero, your mental wellbeing is just as important as, no, it is one of the most crucial things to adopt. I see that you stubborn kids haven't moved on from the Kaminari situation, and I understand that. But as your teacher, it's my responsibility to get you into the right headspace. So you're coming to this barbeque, and I won't take no for an answer. Are we clear?"

"Y-Yes sir."

"Good. Now go to sleep."

It wasn't easy, but at least Todoroki didn't get a white night this time.

The next morning, Class 1-A gathered around the back entrance of U.A., where the barbeque was being held. It was a vast space of greenery and blooming flowers. Rumours say before U.A. was built, this piece of territory used to be a giant garden, so Todoroki wasn't surprised by the beauty of the place. There were a few white benches at the side and a green hill overlooking the space. The barbeque grills were set up by the principal and homeroom teachers. Todoroki helped prepare the grills with his fire quirk, while Bakugo "tried" to do the same with his explosion but he ended up breaking the equipment. Everyone laughed at this, decreasing the tension a little bit.

Aizawa stood at the front of the class.

"Today is the one day I will allow you to let loose and enjoy yourselves," he said, "Use it to your advantage, or you will regret it. That's it. Also, don't interrupt my slumber or I'll cancel."