CHAPTER 7: DNA

Todoroki followed the nurses all the way to U.A.'s medical room, where students are usually sent for sickness or injury treatment. The nurses were carrying the hospital bed that held Kirishima's unconscious body.

Thanks to Recovery Girl, the students at U.A. are fortunate enough to recover quicker than usual. Entering the room, Todoroki saw a couple of injured students (probably from hero training) and some nurses walking around.

"Ah, Todoroki, you've come," Recovery Girl (aka Chiyo) appeared in the waiting room, wearing her white nurse robe and her signature medical needle. She was a short old lady, but despite her size, she was one of the most reliable staff at the school.

Todoroki greeted her with a respectable bow.

"Good afternoon. You said you wanted to see me?"

"Indeed, I did," she said. Then, she instructed the nurses carrying Kirisihima to put him in a bed at the back of the room, where he will rest for the time being. When she didn't seem to explain any further, Todoroki spoke again.

"Um...so...what did you want to talk to me about?" he asked awkwardly, as if not sure he had the right to ask. When the waiting room was empty of students (besides Todoroki), the old nurse just sighed and ushered Todoroki to go inside her office. Still perplexed about the entire situation, Todoroki slowly went inside the tiny cubicle.

Maybe she wants to tell me something about the hospital fire. Please no, I've been trying to take my mind off of that topic all day...The thought made Todoroki clench his fist tightly as he sat down on a stool in the office.

"Gummy?" Chiyo held out an open container of colorful little bears out to Todoroki, encouraging him to take one. He did take a few, but only because he was starving. However, he was getting more impatient with each chew, since it didn't explain why he was in Recovery Girl's office, uninjured.

Todoroki opened his mouth to ask what was the situation was, but words left him as he saw Chiyo disappear from her office. He closed his jaw and sighed, wishing he was back in his dorm, studying for the final exam and texting his sister about mother.

However, Chiyo returned a few moments later with two photographs, both of which Todoroki did not recognize. One of the photographs held a strange-looking machine, it resembled a small presentation podium. The other photograph looked as if a cluster of complicated scientific statistics were thrown onto it. Todoroki pulled the photos closer to his face to get a better understanding of what he was seeing, but nothing clicked inside his brain.

"Um...this is...?"

"This, my dear, is the answer to why I called you in," she sang cheerfully, "You are the key to helping us bring justice to the League!" she threw a punch in the air enthusiastically. When Todoroki's response was just a blank stare back at her, she sighed and ran a hand over her face. "Oh dear, forgive me, I jumped to conclusions too quickly. Nobody else told you, huh?" she said.

Todoroki shook his head.

Chiyo pointed to the first photo of the strange-looking machine and said, "We managed to track the Villain's possible hideout, but the only way to access the entrance is through this machine. We've had some of our most advanced scientists investigate it, and they found that it is actually a general DNA scanner. I assume that's how the machine will be able to recognize the individual trying to enter." Todoroki was intrigued and became curious.

"Have you had anybody try to test the machine out?" he asked.

Chiyo shook her head.

"Goodness, no. It's way too dangerous, considering the invention is quite unfamiliar to all of us. Trying to access it could get someone killed," she said dryly. Todoroki nodded in comprehension, fascinated by the work of this machine. Then, he realized that he still doesn't know why he was in Chiyo's office.