10

I couldn't sleep at all. I was tossing and turning. There were so many thoughts just running throw my head. The short thing between Alex and me tonight got me heated in so many ways. I felt mad, sad, and happy. How was it possible for me to feel all three of those emotions over something like that.

"Stop moving Marissa." Alex hissed and I froze. Even in his sleep he was thinking about her. I laid as still as possible until I could hear his light snores as he fell back asleep. Carefully I climbed out of bed and slipped outside onto the balcony.

Looking up at the big moon I scrambled through my thoughts.

My whole life I was been in 4 relationships. My first one, I was only 6 and was dating a cute little boy named Timothy. When I was 13 I dated a guy named Alan for a few months. When I was 16, I got into my first serious relationship. Timothy and Alan didn't count. Declan and me dated for 5 years. He was the first love of my life and I really thought we were forever. Everyone thought we were forever. He was my best friend, my other half. Well at least that's what I thought.

The first 3 years of our relationship was fine. It was perfect in fact. He treated me like a queen. He had me on a pedestal. Then one day I walked in on him with a girl, Willow Jennings. We never really liked each other. In fact we hated each other. She was that mean girl in high school and she lived up to every stereotype. She was the tall, skinny, blonde cheerleader who dated the football captain.

After I caught him cheating on me I was still so in love with him that I was dumb enough to go back. From then on our relationship was always rocky. A year after that, he started getting abusive. It started with small shoves or death tightening grips on my wrist. Then it escalated to slaps and soon enough punches. I'd always lied to people saying that I'd run into a door or fallen down the stairs. Everyone would believe me because I was known to be a klutz.

I never left him in fact I had a sick and twisted thought in my head that we were still going to get married and have kids. I was so blinded by the fact that he was my first love which is why I never left him. That and because he threatened me whenever it seemed like I was going to leave him. He then started to stop letting me see my friends. Whenever I would even look in the direction of another guy he would punish me later at home.

Declan would call me ugly and fat all the time. Why couldn't you be prettier or what couldn't you be skinnier. You're so dumb.

Then he would apologize the next day with flowers to make up for hurting me. Saying that he loved me and that no one else would which is one of the reasons why I never left. What he said was right... no one could love me.

Alicia had come over one day and found me laying in a pool of my own blood. That night Declan and me had gotten into a fight about me having a guy as a partner on a project in one of my class. Even after that it took Alicia and Ashely a lot of convincing to get me out of the toxic relationship. The hospital refused to release me unless I agreed to therapy which I was went through for a little over a year.

To this day I'm so grateful to my two friends because without them I might be dead right now, but maybe death was a sweeter hell than this marriage.

Author's Note

Hi! I know this chapter is super short, but I purposely did that because I just wanted to focus on Charlotte's past life.