14

I quickly reapplied my lip gloss and fluffed my hair a bit in the mirror before stepping off the elevator.

I tried to walk as confidently as I possibly could with all these people staring at me. I remembered the way to Alex's office, but before I could get there, someone stood in my way.

Declan.

"What are you doing here." I growled.

"Didn't your husband tell you I work here now?" His tall figure towering over me. His wide build made him more intimidating me.

It still surprise me how this was the man I was once so in love with.

"Move." I said through my teeth. I tried to play tough, hoping he wouldn't know how he still made me felt. I refused to give him that power.

"Charlotte." He sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "I just wanted to apologize." His green eyes bored into mine.

I felt my knees go week as his stepped closer to me. "Stop." I whimpered, my hard exterior breaking.

He put his hands up and I flinched at his actions only to realize he was only moving a piece of hair out of my face.

"I have to go." I said trying to maneuver my way around him.

"Please. I'm begging you." He pleaded. That was something that I have heard one too many time.

"No. I won't fall for it again."

"You know I love you." He grabbed my wrist and I saw his old self again. "And I know you love me too."

"Get. Your. Hands. Off. Her. Now." A voice said.

I looked behind me to see Alex walking towards us slowly. His hands were in his pockets and he slowly sauntered over to us looking so casual, but dangerous at the same time.

If looks could kill, Declan most definitely would be 10 feet under right now.

"Sorry boss." Declan dropped my wrist. "Just catching up with an old friend."

When I was out of his grasp, I quickly moved to hide behind Alex.

"You won't be catching up with anyone today, but you will be going back to your office and packing all your stuff up. Get the hell out of my building."

I looked up at Alex in shock, surprised to see him do that. I know Declan was a major asset to the company and to fire him so blatantly like that... I couldn't help, but feel prioritized? Something that I've never been before.

"Alex please, there's really no reason to fire me." Declan chuckles nervously.

"How about causing a commotion in my office for starters." He took a step closer to Declan, "How about fraternizing with my wife while you're suppose to be working considering you're on the clock." He took a step closer, this time he was almost nose to nose with Declan. Declan was tall, but Alex had a few inches on him making Declan look like nothing. "Or how about the fact that you're a woman beater?"

Declan's angry eyes shot towards me at the last sentence and all I wanted to be in that moment was anywhere, but here.

"Take your pick on your cause of termination. I could care less." Alex shrugged. He stalked over to me and we walked out of the building hand in hand.

Everyone eyes were on us as we walked out. I knew full well that they probably all heard the fight and pretty soon the whole company would be swarmed with rumors and gossips.

"Alex" I started, but he cut me off.

"I'm so sorry for asking you to come today. I didn't know he was going to be there. I thought he started next week. I wasn't going to keep him anyways." Alex looked at me with sorry eyes.