Chapter 6

I quickly looked through the map. The closest Safe Zone on the map was in Victoria. I quickly folded it up and put it into my bag. I then ran outside and continued to search. When we finished we all came in together. Gabriella and Lauren both had nothing. I kept the diary to myself and showed them the map.

"I found this. It's a map of Australia and has safe zones marked all over it" I said.

"Do you think one of them has Sam?" Gabriella asked.

"I mean it's possible. I think it's too dangerous here. We should get back. We've got a long ride ahead of us" I said.

It took another day and a half to get back to Mount Barker. Once we got back we hitched our horses. Lauren stormed off chucking her bag onto the ground. I think she is sill pissed at me for threatening her. I ignored her and grabbed her bag. Gabriella walked over to me.

"What do we do now?" Gabriella asked.

"I think we will stay low for now. Have a rest. Go see Stella and Samantha" I said.

"Ok. Thank you" Gabriella said patting my back.

Gabriella walked off. I looked around and saw Prince sitting down at a bench by himself. I walked over to him and tapped him on his shoulder. He turned around. He hugged me tight and I hugged him tighter.

"You're back Mummy!" Prince said.

"I sure am. What have you been doing?" I asked.

"Nothing" Prince said.

"Ok. Mummy will just be up in the watch tower, if you want me" I said.

"Ok mummy. Love you" Prince said.

"Love you too" I said playing with his hair.

I slowly walked to the watch tower. Someone was taking watch.

"Hey. Have a break. I can take over" I said.

The guard agreed and climbed down. I sat down on his seat and put my head back to relax. It was a stressful day. All we came back with was a diary and a map. I grabbed my bag and opened it up. I took out the map and had a quick look at it.

If we have people that would want to go out all the way to Victoria it would be worth it to see what is happening there. I folded the map up and put it back into my bag. I then searched around and found the diary. I opened to the first page where it said 'Where is my boy?'. I flipped the page and saw that it was filled with words. There was no empty spaces. I flipped through the entire book and it was completely filled. From the first to the last page.

I quickly flipped back to the first page and started to read it. It seemed like each day was documented. The first page was about Sam disappearing. There was also something about Sam's brothers body being found. Dead from a gunshot. I continued reading through the entire diary. There wasn't too much information. There were just a few pages talking about the safe zones on the map and the rest was just places they searched looking for Sam. As I read the last words I closed the book and rested it onto my leg.

I closed my eyes and let the sunlight onto my face. It felt nice. It got my mind off things. It got my mind off finding Sam. It got my mind off of caring for Prince. I felt like I was in a world with nothing to worry about.

But as I was day dreaming I heard someone climbing up the guard tower and my moment of peace was ruined.

I swapped places with the man who climbed up and then I climbed down. I saw Lauren walking somewhere. I quickly caught up to her. I decided that the drama between us has been going on for too long. I needed to apologise for what I said.

"Lauren! Wait a second! Can I please talk to you?" I said yelling out to her.

Lauren stopped in her tracks. She didn't even turn around. She just stayed in one spot and looked to the floor.

"Look. I'm sorry for what I said the other day. I was just out of it from Prince and everything to do with finding Sam. I wasn't myself. So basically, I'm very sorry for saying that to you" I said.

I was expecting her to apologise back. I waited a little. But Lauren stayed silent. She then slowly turned around.

"Are you expecting me to apologise? Well I'm not going to. Fuck you" Lauren said.

She turned around and kept walking. Her face was full of evil. She looked extremely angry. I quickly ran up to her. I walked in front of her and she stopped.

"I'm sorry ok. Please I want us back. I want our friendship back. Please" I said.

She slowly looked up at me. She looked even more pissed. So I decided to move in for a kiss. I remembered from when we did weed together. When we kissed.

I started to kiss her on her mouth, but she moved back and pushed me hard. I quickly fell backwards falling on my back. I looked up at her.

"Leave me alone!" She yelled.

She stormed off while I was still on the ground. I slowly got back up and wiped a few tears away. Lauren was changing. I can tell she is very sad about Sam still. She's been different ever since he went missing. I guess everyone has in their own way.

I quickly went back to the radio room where the map was put. I looked over the map. I decided that I wanted to go out and check the closet Safe Zone. Maybe Sam was there. I circled it with a pencil and rubbed my eyes. I've always wondered. Since the start of this outbreak. Is there a place out there that it just like before. Will we ever find it if there is?