Always be your Hero

six

Ugh!" screamed the little girl, "Can't you just leave me alone!"
"Never" taunted the boy.
Annabeth Chase crossed her arms and stomped her foot, "Ugh! I hate you."
Percy stuck his tongue out at her. She raced away, with him following close behind her.
"Go away!" Annabeth screamed, running away from him in a deadly game of tag.
Percy laughed and taunted her. The two kids continued running around the playground, yelling and insulting each other. This was a daily routine for them, every recess they would fight and chase each other around. Well, it was mostly Percy chasing Annabeth around.

When the bell finally rang, both kids were breathing hard, their faces were red and their cheeks puffed out. They lined up against the wall, ready to walk into their first grade classroom. Percy leaned out of the line, glancing at Annabeth,  who stood near the front. She turned to look at him. Their eyes met. Hers a sharp and piercing stormy grey, his a bright and playful sea green. Percy gave her a little smile. Her intense eyes seemed to soften a bit. She didn't smile back, but her glare seemed to be a little less harsh. Percy slipped back into line, he slumped against the wall, a dreamy smile spread across his lips. No matter what he did and how hard he tried, he couldn't rid his mind of Annabeth Chase.

eight

Annabeth sat at her desk, her curly blonde hair fell down her shoulders in a tangled mess, her fingers tapped against her pencil rhythmically. She hummed a song to herself and focused on the work in front of her. She tried her hardest but her mind wandered aimlessly. She was tired and hungry and the words swam off the page as she tried to read them.
"Alright everyone. Please hand your spelling tests in at the front of the class" the sweet voice of her teacher ran through her room.
Panicked, Annabeth scribbled a few letters down on the page. She shuffled to the front of her class and tried to put her paper down discreetly. Unfortunately, her efforts didn't go unnoticed. Joey, a school bully, grabbed the test from her hands. He scanned it quickly, throwing it to the ground and crushing it under his boot.
"What happened smarty pants?" he gloated, "Too dumb to finish a little spelling quiz?"
"Give it back!" she mumbled angrily, colour rising to her cheeks.
"Stupid little Annie" he cooed.
She looked at the ground, forcing herself not to react.
"She's not stupid!" came a new voice.
Annabeth turned around to see Percy Jackson standing there, his paper crumpled up in his clenched fist.
"Give her the test back and leave her alone" Percy took a step forward.
"Why should I do that Jackson?" Joey snarled angrily.
"Leave. Her. Alone."
Percy's voice was deadly calm. Joey looked up at his angry expression and then over to where Annabeth stood.
"Idiot" he sneered quietly at Annabeth,  but he then turned away quickly and rushed back to his seat.
Percy bent down and picked up Annabeth's test. He smoothed it out and handed it back to her, giving a reassuring smile.
"Don't worry. I didn't even answer any of the questions so at least you'll get better than me" he smirked at her, showing his empty paper.
Annabeth looked at him gratefully, sliding her test into place with the others.
"Thanks" she looked at the ground.
"No problem" he grinned, "If Joey ever causes you trouble again I'll deal with him, got it?"
She frowned "I-I can take care of myself."
Percy smiled at her gently, "It's okay to need help sometimes."
Annabeth nodded, her voice not working. Percy sidled back to his desk and plunked down, giving Annabeth a final smirk as she passed him.

eleven

"You're so going down, Chase" Percy crossed his arms tightly over his chest.
Annabeth snorted, "In your dreams, Jackson. This game is mine."
Percy smirked, "Right. When was the last time you won capture the flag again?"
Annabeth rolled her eyes at him, "Whatever."
"Mmm. That's what I thought" Percy chuckled.
Annabeth stuck her tongue out at him in a childish way, he shook his head and laughed lightly. They both turned and walked away to their teams sides. Percy glanced back up at her. She smirked at him.
"Good luck, Jackson."
His heart beat twice as fast as normal when he saw her smirk.
He couldn't help but smile, "Back at you, Chase."