Goddamn Eyes

This year has been pretty fucked up. So much has happened, and it's all catching up to me. Guys are so stupid.

There's two and a half months until the end of the decade. I've decided to make it my year this year. Watch out, 2020, cause' here I come. I'm not even going to think about boys. At least... that's what I told myself before I met Percy Jackson and his goddamn eyes...

//

We met at a coffee shop. How typical. Now, I'm no romantic, but I will admit that when I first saw him my heart exploded. It's not my fault, you should have seen those goddamn eyes...

My head was pounding. I was so hungover. Everyone goes a little crazy on Halloween night right? Well I was definitely feeling the affects now. I was exhausted and felt like throwing up every ten minutes.

The coffee shop nestled in between a pizza place and gym a few blocks away from NYU was my only sanctuary at the moment.

That's when he walked in.

I glanced up from my stack of textbooks.

He was tall and tan, and he nimbly nestled into the already packed store.

I found myself unable to peel my eyes away from him. He caught me staring after a few moments and glanced over. I blushed. He smiled.

I threw my gaze back over to the mound of homework that lay in front of me. I sighed and went back to my work.

It was a few minutes later when someone sat down across from me.

I looked up, rather annoyed. And it was him.

His bright, swirling, sea green eyes captured mine. I felt my breath shorten.

"Hello," he said softly, slipping closer to the table, "You're very pretty."

I blushed. "Oh."

"Do you want to be my best friend?" the boy asked, leaning back in his chair and running a hand through his tangled hair.

I looked up from my work once again, "I beg your pardon?"

"I asked if you'd like to be my best friend," he repeated, flashing me a nervous grin.

I hesitated, trying to frown again, although I found a smile slipping through.

"What? Are we back in kindergarten?" I said with a laugh.

He smirked and leaned across the table, "That's not an answer."

I crossed my arms and mimicked his smirk, "No one has asked me to be their 'best friend' since I was a little kid."

The boy gave a little sigh, "I know. But I've been looking for a best friend for a while now. The years almost over, hell, the decades almost over, and I want a best friend. Besides, I don't see anything wrong with acting like little kids once in a while."

I hesitated, wanting to play the scenario out a little longer, just to see what would happen.

"I cant be best friends with someone I haven't even met."

He stuck his hand out across the table. I firmly shook it, my smile growing wider and wider.

"My name is Percy. Percy Jackson."

I let my fingers slip out of his, secretly loving the feel of his hand against mine.

"Annabeth Chase."

Percy tipped a nonexistent hat to me, "Pleased to meet you, Ms. Chase."

"The feeling is mutual, Mr. Jackson," I sat back in my chair and crossed my arms, staring at him over my thousands of textbooks and papers.