Gone

I woke up with a shiver running down my spine.

My cabin was dark and cold. The dampness seeping in from outside sent a chill through my bones.

I sat up in bed. My mind was spinning with an awful memory of the Battle of Manhattan.

I slowly slipped from my bunk. My bare feet pressed against the icy floor of Cabin Six.

Only one thing could make me feel better right now.

Percy.

I threw on a sweater and made my way over to the door of our Cabin, trying my hardest to not wake any of my siblings.

"And where exactly do you think you're going?" whispered a voice in the dark.

I spun around quickly, my heart beating fast.

I came face to face with my half-brother, his eyebrows were raised, his grey eyes glinted dangerously in the soft moonlight streaming through the Cabin window.

"Malcolm," I gave a sigh of relief.

"Annabeth," he crossed his arms and gave me a knowing look, "Headed on a midnight stroll, are you? Where are going?"

I frowned and fell back against the door with a soft moan of exasperation, "Cabin Three."

He rolled his eyes knowingly, "Figures."

"Shut up," I muttered with a light smirk.

"I've never seen you disobey the rules so much," Malcolm grumbled, "Why do you even have to go anyways!"

"Nightmares," I whispered immediately.

Malcolm's expression softened completely. His eyes filled with a hard understanding.

He stepped away from me. "Have fun, don't do anything stupid. I'll see you in the morning big sis."

I gave him a silent nod of thanks and rushed from the Cabin.

My bare feet were instantly freezing as I made my way across the camp green.

In less than a minute I was standing in front of the swirling green marble door of the Poseidon Cabin.

A small smile traced my lips as I thought of the brilliant green eyes I was about to see.

I reached a hand up to knock on the door. My fist connected with the stone.

The door swung open.

I frowned.

"Percy?" I asked, my voice softly floating through the cabin.

No reply.

I took a step into the room.

"Percy?" I said again, this time louder.

No reply.

"Percy!" I yelled, panic streaming into my voice.

No reply.

I raced to his bed. My hands shook through the empty sheets.

My fingers closed on something. I whipped the item from his bed.

My eyes widened.

It was a bead necklace. A small string of leather rope, four clay beads tied onto it. It was a camp necklace. It was Percy's camp necklace.

I backed up slowly, my fingers still clutching the necklace. I smacked into the door, my back pressing against the cool coral studded in the wall.

I took a deep breath. "The lake. He has to be by the lake."

I sprinted from the cabin, the jewelry swinging from my hand, the beads cutting against my palm.

I only realized I was crying when my feet hit sand. The icy particles pressed against my bare skin.

"Percy!" I screamed. My voice was carried away in the wind. I yelled his name louder, again and again, racing up and down the beach. Heavy waves crashed against the shore. I stared into the frothy sea.

I took a shaky breath. Tears stained my face.

"Seaweed Brain?" I whispered, "Are you there?"

I swear I could hear his voice calling to me. I swear I could hear the soft whisper of "Wise Girl." I swear that he was there, but I just couldn't reach him.

I dropped to my knees. A gasping sob escaped my lips. I raised a trembling hand to my mouth.

"Annabeth!" Came a voice from far behind me.

It was Malcolm. I could tell by the distant waver in his voice.

I didn't turn to look at him. My eyes stayed focused on the ocean.

Malcolm called my name a number of times before he finally arrived at my shoulder, giving heaving breaths.

"I heard you screaming," he panted, "I-I thought you were in danger. Maybe a monster..."

I didn't say anything.

"Annabeth?" Malcolm whispered.

"He's gone." I murmured softly.

"What?" Malcolm said frantically, the panic rising in his voice was visible, "Annabeth what's going on?"

I closed my eyes. "He's gone, Malcolm. Percy is gone."

Malcolm gave a sharp intake of breath.

Tears burned hot against my cheeks. I gripped Percy's necklace in my hand. The cool sand pressed into my skin.

I took a deep breath, inhaling the salty scent of the ocean, and wishing more than anything that Percy was safe.

Okay so this idea is based off one of my followers on my Instagram account!! The idea was sent in about a week ago and I finally got around to finishing it. Thanks so much to the person who gave me this idea, it helped loads. ALSO, I'm AWARE that in the novels Percy keeps his necklace when he is captured by Hera, but I changed it in this so thanks 👍

-Annie