Please, Wise Girl

"Annabeth!" I turned in time to see her fall. A demigod with a bloody knife stood over her. In a flash I understood what had happened. He'd been trying to stab me. Judging from the position of the blade, he would've taken me—maybe by sheer luck— in the small of my back, my only weak point.
Annabeth has intercepted the knife with her own body. But why? She didn't know about my weak spot. No one did.

I locked eyes with the enemy demigod. He wore an eyepatch under his war helm: Ethan Nakamura, the Son of Nemesis. Somehow he'd survived the explosion on the Princess Andromeda. I slammed him in the face with my sword hilt so hard I dented his helm.
"Get back!" I slashed the air in a wide arc, driving the rest of the demigods away from Annabeth, "No one touches her!"
"Interesting" Kronos said.
He towered above me on his skeletal horse, his scythe in one hand. He studied the scene with narrowed eyes as if he could sense that I'd just come close to death, the way a wolf can smell fear.
"Bravely fought, Percy Jackson" he said, "But its time to surrender... or the girl dies."
"Percy, don't" Annabeth groaned. Her shirt was soaked with blood. I had to get her out of here.
"Blackjack!" I yelled.
As fast as light, the pegasus swooped down and clamped his teeth on the straps of Annabeth's armor. They soared away over the river before the enemy could even react.

...

Annabeth lay on a lounge chair. Her face was pale and beaded with sweat. Even though she was covered with blankets, she shivered. Silena Beauregard was wiping her head with a cool cloth.
Will and I pushed through a crowd of Athena kids. Will unwrapped the bandages to examine Annabeth's wound, and I wanted to faint. The bleeding had stopped but the gash looked deep. The skin around the cut was a horrible shade of green.
"Annabeth..." I choked up. She'd taken that knife for me. How could I have let that happen?
"Poison on the dagger," she mumbled, "Pretty stupid of me, huh?"
Will Solace exhaled. "It's... Just lie still, Annabeth. Somebody hand me some nectar."
I grabbed a canteen. Will cleaned out the wound with the godly drink while I held Annabeth's hand.
"Ow," she said, "Ow, ow!" She gripped my fingers so tight they turned purple, but she stayed still, like Will had asked. Silena muttered words of encouragement. Will put some silver paste over the wound and hummed words in Ancient Greek—a hymn to Apollo. Then he applied fresh bandages and stood up shakily.
The healing must've taken a lot of his energy. He looked almost as pale as Annabeth.
"I hope..." he hesitated and my chest constricted, then he glanced up at me, and his expression broke. My vision turned blurry. He gave me a pained look. "I hope that does it," he whispered. We both knew it wouldn't.

...

"Annabeth," I whispered, "Please. Stay strong. I'm sorry. Annabeth, please."
The deck had emptied out to just the two of us. Tears filled my eyes, threatening to spill over.
Annabeth gasped, "It's okay, Percy. Just-just win it for me. For all of us."
"Annabeth, you can win it with me, I promise. The Stoll's will be back with the supplies soon. We can save you. We can..." my voice trailed off.
Annabeth squeezed my hand, "Not this time, Percy."
I shook my head, "No. Annabeth. Not like this. Please not like this."
"Shhh," she whispered, her voice growing fainter, "Save Manhattan. Save the world. It's what you do best."
"I can't do it without you. Annabeth, I can't do anything without you. Just hold on for a little longer." my voice cracked with despair.
She brushed the hair from my eyes, "You're the bravest person I've ever met, Percy. You can do this."
She leaned up and kissed me. Her lips were cracked. She fell back into the lounge chair with a yelp of pain. Tears swam in her eyes. I sobbed.
"Annabeth..." I murmured.
"I love you, Percy" she whispered.
"I-I love you too" I choked out, surprising even myself.
Her lips parted in a smile, "Goodbye, Seaweed Brain."
I shook my head harder, "No. Annabeth, no! This isn't goodbye. I... You can't leave. Annabeth. Please."
Her grip on my hand slackened.
"Annabeth!" I cried, panic rising in my tone, "Annabeth! No!"
Her grey irises swarmed with tears.
"ANNABETH!" I yelled.
My fingers were still laced through hers.
"ANNABETH!" I shouted again, my voice was laced with pain.
I slumped down, my body shook.
I screamed her name over and over again. My voice became hoarse. The words echoed out over the dark skyline of Manhattan. Her skin was cold underneath my fingers. I collapsed against her.
"Annabeth" I groaned, "Annabeth."
My tears burned hot against my cheeks, dripping down and landing on her tattered clothes.
My voice was pleading, "Annabeth. I'm here. Just wake up. Annabeth..."
I closed my eyes and tightened my grip on her limp hand. I brought her icy fingers towards my chest and laid them against my violently beating heart.
My voice had turned to a whisper, "I'm right here, Annabeth. I'm right here. I won't leave you. I promise."
My head fell against her chest, my hand still clasped hers.
"Oh, Annabeth..." I shook with despair, "Oh, Annabeth, please. I'm right here, Annabeth. I'm right here. Wake up, Wise Girl. Please... Wake up..."

hi hi hi. so basically ive already posted this on my "death of the heroes" story but i got too lazy to continue with that so im revamping this one here! anyways hope you all enjoy. (first two sections belong mainly to rick riordan with some small changes by me. the rest is my writing.)

-Annie