forty-four

It all becomes real as Ryder turns his expensive range rover into the school car park of Forestview high. Anxiety filled my veins as he parked the car in one of the free car parks at the front of the parking lot.

"We can always go home; you don't have to do this if you're not ready." Ryder says, as we had been sitting in silence for a few minutes now.

Everything in me wanted to give in to him and tell him that I was wrong and I really can't do this, that I want to go home. But there was no way I could do that, the old Flo would have, she would have sunk down in her chair and done what he wanted to do but this new Flo? She's stronger, she'll fight for what she wants and won't let people tell her what to do anymore.

"No, it's fine let's do this." I said as I took a deep breath and opened the car door slowly, Ryder managed to read my mind as he raced over to my door and helped me out.

Ryder was instantly glued to my side as we walked hand in hand, up to the front entrance of the school building.

"I'm going to be here the whole time; you don't need to worry baby I'll protect you." Ryder said as he gave my hand a squeeze and smiled down at me as he held the door open for me to enter the buzzing hallway.

I guess it's now or never.

It seemed like I had only managed to take one step into the busy corridor when everyone seemed to stop whatever they were doing and look my way. The once loud walkway way now dead silent, except for the slight murmurs and whispers as people pointed my way.

I gave Ryder's hand a squeeze and took a deep breath in as I put one foot in front of the other and walked confidently down the hallway towards my locker with Ryder's hand held firmly in mine.

"Oh my god its Flo."

"I heard she was sick."

"She looks so pretty

"I heard Ryder stabbed her and wouldn't let her come to school."

Those were just a few of, I'm sure, many rumours that were spread around the school while I've been gone, all not being true of course. I know what's true and so do my friends, the rumours don't bother me in the slightest.

"Damn Flo you're the talk of the school." Maze says as she walks up to where Ryder and I were standing at my locker.

"I know, I don't like it, but hey we know what's true and what isn't." I said as I shoved my bag into the locker and grabbed out my books.

"I agree." Will said, leaning against the lockers as the bell rang.

"Well I guess I will see you guys at lunch." I said shutting my locker and getting cheery replies from my friends as we all go our separate ways.

"Come on, I'll walk you to class." Ryder insisted, grabbing my hand and leading me down the hall.

I happily let him guide me down the now empty hallway, it's been so long since I've been here, it feels like I haven't been here in years when in reality it's only been a month or so.

"Here we are." Ryder said as he stopped outside one of the many classrooms in the school.

"Thank you, I'll see you at lunch." I said as I reached up on my tippy toes to kiss him on the cheek.

"Uh yeah, wait right here for me after class, mines only down the hall." he said leaning down and giving me a quick kiss on the lips.

'I'll never ever get sick of kissing this boy.' I thought as I watched Ryder's retreating figure disappear down the hallway.