09. Vacation

Drew

Haley and I leave the house before my father arrives which means she will meet him after school. I have not seen him in a week. He travels a lot for work. He works as a business consultant for different companies around the States and Europe.

Haley seems to be in a much better mood this morning. She even smiled at me without saying anything to each other. My friends are not giving me s**t about me giving Haley a ride. Actually, they have been watching her in a way I dislike - as if she is one of those girls who will open her legs for any guy who gives her a bit of attention. She is nothing like those girls. It makes me want to punch their faces, but I restrain myself. If they were not my friends and we were outside of school, I probably would have though. I noticed she has changed the way she looks - her hair is down, she has light make up on and she is wearing fitted clothes - not revealing clothes at least. The only thing that remains the same is her black-framed glasses.

The day goes by as usual. I do not see Haley at all during the day, not even during break. I think of texting her to make sure she is okay but I decide not to. I do not want to make her feel like she is not in control. When I arrive to my temporary car, I find Haley already waiting next to it. Her arms are crossed and she is looking around the parking lot as if she is bored.

She gets startled when I ask her, "Are you okay?" She did not notice me approach her from behind.

"Yeah. Don't sneak up on me like that next time." She holds a hand to her chest.

I chuckle but I feel sorry for making her jump. "I promise I won't."

I unlock the car and we both climb in. "Did you talk to the counselor?" I ask her as I start the engine.

"Yes." Her expression is neutral. "I will be seeing her again next week."

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? "Why?"

She shrugs. "It's part of the therapeutic process."

I nod. I do not know s**t about therapy so I cannot say anything. I change the subject instead. "Will you help me set up for the party tonight? I cannot do it by myself."

"Can't your friends help you out?"

I do not want my friends to help me out. I want her to help me out. I try my best to focus on the road so we do not get into an accident but it is really hard when she looks at me in that innocent way. "My friends want to come for the party, not to set up."

"I have my own work to do. I don't want to waste my time setting up for a stupid party which is not approved by your mother." She is so stubborn. She needs to chill and let loose.

I finally give up. "Fine, but if you don't help me, then you are not welcome at the party."

She shrugs nonchalantly. "Don't worry. I'll be locking myself up in my room anyway. You will not even realize I'm in the house."

For some reason her words make me feel unsettled. Why does she make me feel like this? I do not want her to lock herself in her room. I change the subject. "Do you see without your glasses?"

"I see a bit blurry without it. Why do you ask?"

I shrug my shoulders. "I was just wondering. I only saw you without it once when you went to Amy's house."

"Yeah, we went to the pharmacy and she bought me contact lenses. But I have no intention of wearing those things again."

The rest of the ride is silent. Once we arrive home she asks, "Is your father home?" I informed her he will be coming back this morning.

"He should be."

We head inside together. My father is watching sports on T.V. and my mother is in the kitchen as usual. My father is wearing casual clothes which is the total opposite of his business attire. When I close the door behind us, he turns to look at us.

"Dad, this is Haley," I tell him when he lowers the volume of the T.V.

My father stands up and comes in front of us. He looks Haley up and down but I do not say anything even though I hate the way he looks at her. He puts his hand out to shake Haley's hand and she obliges. "You're prettier than Ashley said you would be."

Haley blushes and I want to push my father away from her. "It's nice to meet you, Mr. Evans." Haley lets go of his hand and takes a step back feeling uncomfortable. I do not blame her.

"My name is Mason, not Mr. Evans."

My mother clears her throat from the kitchen doorway and my father goes back to watching the game.

My mother approaches Haley. "How was school today?"

Haley smiles brightly at her. "It was good."

I head to my room and let Haley chat with my mother. My parents should be leaving in an hour. They already have their suitcases by the front door. I catch up on some homework to pass the time until my parents leave.