11. Fight

Haley

I toss and turn in my bed trying to block out the powerful music. Someone has tried to get into my room three times already. I cannot sleep like this. I hope the neighbors report the blaring music. I look at the time to find that it is half past eleven. Today is Friday so we do not have school tomorrow which means the party will take longer than if it were a school night.

I need to tell Drew to turn down the volume, otherwise I will not be able to sleep like this. I get out of bed and head out the door. I lock the door behind me in case someone tries to have s** in my room. A guy is holding a girl against the wall in the corridor. They both ignore me as they continue to devour each other and moan and groan. I go down to the kitchen but Drew is nowhere in sight. He is not in the living room either. People are dancing and grinding against each other. Some people are also kissing and shoving their tongues down each others' throats. I squeeze through the crowd and head toward the back of the house where there is a swimming pool. There are some people swimming in the pool in just their underwear. A few people are dancing and others are snogging. A group of guys are playing beer pong one the left side of the pool. However, Drew is not with them.

"Hey gorgeous," a male voice comes from behind me. "Looking for someone?"

I turn to see a muscular guy whom I recognize as one of Drew's friends. I do not know his name though. "Yes, I'm looking for Drew. Have you seen him."

He shrugs nonchalantly. "Maybe." Is he messing with me? I asked him a simple question that requires a yes-or-no answer. Is he drunk? I smell beer everywhere so I cannot be sure.

"Are you drunk?" I ask him, taking a step back.

"Not yet." He puts both his hands on my waist and pulls me into him. "Would you like to join me in one of the bedrooms?"

I can definitely smell the beer on him now. I try to push him away but he is stronger than me. "Leave me alone!" I wiggle my body to try to get out of his arms but it is useless. "Let me go!" I punch his chest repeatedly.

What happens next is so abrupt that it takes me a minute to comprehend what is going on. Drew is on top of the guy and punching him in the face. The guy, whose name I still do not know, pushes Drew off of him and punches him back. Two random guys separate them and hold them away from each other before they can do any more harm. Drew has blood dripping down his bottom lip and the other guy has blood coming down from his nose and under his left eye is red.

The guy who tried to take me to bed is the first to yell. "What the f**k was that?!"

"She told you to let her go!" Drew screams back at him. "Get the f**k out of here Leo!"

Oh, so that is Leo.

"What is she to you?" Leo asks.

It takes a minute for Drew to respond. He gives me a quick glance and looks back at Leo. "She's like my sister."

I was not expecting that. His sister? He sees me as his sister? Why? Is it because we live under the same roof? Is it because his mother is my guardian? We are definitely not related. And I do not think of him as a brother.

"Fine." Leo raises both hands in defeat. "I'm out of here." He leaves before Drew has a chance to say anything else.

Drew approaches me. "Are you okay?"

I cannot form a word so I simply nod. I have never seen him so angry. He looked like he wanted to kill Leo.

Drew looks at my clothes and his anger escalates. I was still wearing my boyshorts but I changed my T-shirt to a tank top before I went to bed.

"You should have wore more clothes before you decided to join the party." He grabs my arm and pulls me with him. "Let's get you back to your room."

I have no choice but to follow him to my room. His expression is unreadable when he locks the door behind us and lets go of me.

"I did not come down to join the party." I sit on my bed. "I was looking for you."

Surprise flashes in his eyes. "Me? Why?"

"I wanted to tell you to turn down the music. I couldn't sleep."

He runs a hand through his hair and sits down on the bed next to me. "I'm sorry." His voice sounds sincere.

He opens his mouth to speak again but a blaring siren interrupts him. The cacophony coming from downstairs makes him stand up and leave the room. I go to the window to see that everyone is leaving hastily. The red and blue flashing lights of the police car can be seen approaching from afar. Everyone has left the house by the time they reach us. A neighbor must have gotten fed up with the noise as much as I did.