22. Accident

Haley

Drew hates Mondays more than I do. After the night we have had, we are both reluctant to go to school but we have to. I never missed a day of school unless I was very sick and I am not about to start missing school for no reason now.

"Come on," I tell him. "We need to get going."

He groans but gets up from the bed and heads into the bathroom to get ready. I am already dressed and ready to go. He is usually the one who finishes first.

"I'm going!" I call from the bedroom.

He opens the bathroom door holding a toothbrush. "Aren't we riding together?"

"I made plans with the girls after school. We are meeting at the mall."

"I can drive you and then pick you up."

"You're not my taxi driver. Besides, this is the reason I got my own car."

I cannot rely on him driving me around. I need some independence and some alone time to think.

"I'm going to miss you. See you at break time?"

"I'll miss you too." I blow him a kiss. "See you."

I go to the kitchen to find that Ashley already prepared our lunch which is set on the dining table. I thank her and leave.

The air is cold and the rain is light but judging by the large puddles on the ground, it rained heavily during the night. I do not bother opening my umbrella as I get into my car. I hesitate before I start the engine. An SUV at the end of the road catches my eye. I have seen that SUV before - it belongs to Mason Evans, Drew's father. The license plate is easy to remember - it ends with 'MSN' for his name. What is he doing here? The car drives off and I cannot see the driver from this distance. I assume it is Mason but I cannot be sure. I pull out of the driveway and drive off the other way.

I turn on the radio and I sing along to a new pop song that comes on. I am half way to the school and the lights turn red. When I press the break, it does not work. I press harder but it still does not work. Everything happens in a flash. I scream at the top of my lungs. My car swerves and crashes into another car.

Everything goes black.