27. Court

Haley

Today Drew is accompanying his mother to court. I decided to pass and go to school. They drop me off at school before they go to court. I feel really anxious for them. I hope Ashley gets everything she wants out of this.

After wearing the sling for two weeks, I finally took it off today. My shoulder is much better but it only hurts if I stretch my arm.

Drew held me close to him each night throughout the last week but we did not fool around as usual since I needed to rest as much as possible.

My birthday is in one week and I have a feeling Drew has something planned but he has not told me anything. He knows I hate surprises because I always want to know what is going to happen and plan everything beforehand.

Ashley applied for a few jobs ranging from a sales person to a clerk to a receptionist. She had two interviews already.

I find Amy sitting on her own in the cafeteria. "How are you feeling today?" she asks as I join her.

"Nervous. I wish I could see what is going on in court." I look around for Jenny. "Where's Jenny?"

"She's there." Amy points to a table behind us.

Jenny is sitting at that table with none other than Brody. My jaws drops and my eyes go wide. Their PDA is too much for school.

I turn back to face Amy. "Since when?"

"Since Saturday I guess. They were all over each other and I ended up drinking by myself at the bar."

"You went out with the guys without me and Drew?" I am surprised they are getting along. Last weekend Drew and I stayed at home since I needed to rest. Turns out we missed something juicy. "What did the rest of the gang say?"

Amy shrugs. "They don't really care I guess."

"Hmm..." That's new. I thought they would be up in Brody's business like the tabloids on celebrities.

"Someone told me it's your birthday next week." She looks more excited about my birthday than Drew was. "Why didn't you tell us?"

I did not think I should celebrate my birthday without my mother. She used to bake a small fruit cake each year. I will miss her cake this year. "I'm not really looking forward to it."

Her face falls. "Why not?"

I look down at my lunch. "My mom will not be there to celebrate it with me."

Amy takes my hand and I look up at her. "I'm so sorry about your mother. She's still with you in spirit though, right?"

I never thought of it that way. "Yeah, maybe."

"Anyway, you also have a new family. I'm sure Drew and his mother will celebrate with you."

"Yeah." I still miss my mother though.

The bell rings and we go to class.

During break I get a text from Drew saying Ashley won the case and the divorce will be finalized by the end of this week. She got to keep the house and Mason owes her a lot of money including the expenses of the PI Ashley had hired. I am ecstatic for her. She deserves to be free of that a**h***. Drew sends another text saying that he testified in my defense regarding what happened with me and Mason. It was not enough since I was not there to consolidate his accusations against Mason. But at least Ashley won the case overall. Drew also presented the police report with Mason's fingerprints and it was enough for the judge to make him pay for the car damages and my medical expenses and he will be sent to jail for six months. I would have loved to see his face turn red with rage. He is probably more pissed at me than ever before but he brought this upon himself so I will not feel sorry for him. He destroyed his own family.