36. Home

Haley

I open my eyes to find Drew's face in front of me. A dangerous smirk is plastered on his face. His short hair is messy. We are both still naked under the sheets. I notice that it is still dark outside.

"What time is it?"

He reaches out to touch my cheek. "It's four o'clock. A taxi will be here in half an hour and the plane leaves in two hours."

I jump out of bed in a split second. "I need to get ready then. Why didn't you wake me sooner?" I panic. I need to get ready in half an hour.

Drew follows me into the bathroom. "You looked so peaceful. I didn't have the heart to wake you."

I put on some underwear and brush my teeth while he stares at me.

I look at his naked form. "Aren't you going to get ready?"

He smirks and casually leaves the bathroom. I hope we do not miss our flight because of him. Why is he acting like this? He wanted us to leave early because of my physiotherapy and now it seems he does not want to leave at all.

I get ready in the bathroom in record time and when I exit, I find him already dressed and lying on the bed but his suitcase is still unpacked. I take a moment to admire his body lying on the bed, even though he has his clothes on. The sun started rising and a hint of light comes through the window.

I take in his facial features before I speak. He looks so relaxed. "I get the feeling you don't want to leave and go back home. Why is that?"

He sits up gradually. "I wanted us to have more time together just the two of us." He stands up and walks toward me. "I also wanted to thank you for trusting me last night. How do you feel this morning?" He takes my hands in his.

"Never better." It's the truth. I have never been this happy in my life, especially after I lost the person that was the dearest to me. A person who taught me good values. A person who loved me unconditionally. A person who gave me everything I needed. A person I loved more than anyone in the world. Now I only have the memories of my mother that I will cherish forever.

"Now can you please get ready so we don't miss our flight?" I beg. "Did you tell your mom we'll be arriving earlier than planned?"

"I texted her while you were in the bathroom. Does your shoulder still hurt?"

I move my shoulder to check. The pain is very mild. I do not even wince at the slight pain. I shake my head. "It's much better."

"Okay. I'll finish packing and then we can go."

It does not take long to get to the airport. We go through the check-in and we wait at the gate. I still feel tired so I rest my head on Drew's shoulder until it is time to go on the plane.

"Are you tired still?" The smirk on his face tells me that there is a hidden agenda behind him asking such a question.

"Not so much now. Why?"

We are both seated in our seats with our seatbelts on.

He moves his lips to my ear so that I am the only one who can hear him. "Have you ever heard of the mile high club?"

I think I heard that somewhere but I have no idea what it means or where I heard it. "I think so."

"Do you know what it means?"

I shake my head and he chuckles softly. He leans close to my ear again and whispers exactly what it means. I take a deep breath and my jaw drops. Is he suggesting we have s** on the flying plane?

When he sees my shocked expression, he says, "It was just a thought... actually it was wishful thinking... but I understand if you're not comfortable with it."

I do not know what to think. The idea is somehow exciting but I just lost my virginity to him last night. I do not want to jump into anything I am not ready for.

"I think..."

His expression is hopeful. I can tell he wants to do this. But I am not comfortable with doing it so soon.

"I think it's too soon."

His face falls. "I understand." He gives me a weak smile.

I turn my arm around his and snuggle my face into his upper arm. "I'm sorry." My apology comes out muffled by his shirt.

He lifts my face with his hand and looks into my eyes. "You don't have to apologize. I get it."

By the time we arrive home, it is already half past eleven. Ashley hurries toward me and surprises me by hugging me too tightly, almost suffocating me.

"You can let her go now, mom," Drew tells her, before taking our suitcases upstairs.

Ashley bombards me with questions: How was San Jose? Did you meet Nolan? Did Drew take you to his family's restaurant? What else did you do in San Jose? I tell her everything except what happened last night. she does not need to know Drew and I had s** for the first time. That is between Drew and I. No one else. I do not think I will tell my friends either. What will they think if I do?

The door bell rings interrupting our conversation.

"I'll get that," I tell Ashley so she can continue cooking.

Drew beats me to it though. "Who are you?" he asks the girl with pink hair at the front door.

Good question.

"I'm Mona. Haley's sister," the girl says.

What the f***? I do not have a sister.

Drew notices my presence and looks at me in shock.