31. Surprise

Haley

I do not remember falling asleep. I wake up without Drew next to me. Where did he go?

"Drew!"

My vision is much less blurry now. The last thing I remember is sitting against the headboard with my head resting on Drew's shoulder. Judging by the glossy white furniture, I am still in my bedroom. There is still light coming through the window so it is probably after noon. I think I slept for about two hours. I am not wearing the same clothes I wore this morning. I still have the same underwear but I am now wearing one of Drew's shirts. He must have changed my clothes.

"Drew!" I call out again as I stand up.

I put on a sweat pants he must have left for me on the side table. I descend the stairs and call his name again. There is no sign of him anywhere. Where is he?

I really need to eat something because my stomach is growling furiously. I enter the kitchen and switch on the light. As soon as I turn around, after switching on the light, Drew, Ashley, Amy, Jenny and Brody are standing around the dining table.

"Surprise!" they all say in unison. "Happy birthday!"

They definitely took me by surprise. The dining table is covered with trays of finger food. There are a few balloons around the huge room and the table is decorated with ribbons.

Ashley comes in front of me and gives me a tight hug. "How are you? How did the procedure go?" She lets go of me to look into my eyes.

"It went well. I am starting to see clear again."

Her face brightens again and she hugs me one more time before my friends approach me to wish me a happy birthday.

"I thought you had other plans today," I tell them.

They had told me that they were leaving to see their families. Turns out they were keeping this a secret.

"I am actually leaving tomorrow," Amy informs me. "For real this time."

I turn to Jenny. "And you?"

Jenny's eyes brighten and she give me a huge smile. "I'm going on a road trip with Brody tomorrow."

"Seriously?" I still cannot believe they are actually together.

"Yeah."

"How are you feeling?" Amy asks.

"I'm good. Did you know about the surgery?"

"No, we found out when we got here."

I tell them about the surgery and everything that goes with it. Drew puts on some music and sits with Brody to watch some sports. I sit at the table with the ladies. We talk about random things. At times, Ashley would go with a tray of food in the living room near Drew and Brody.

When Drew and Brody return to the kitchen and sit with us, I cut the cake as they sing Happy Birthday and I feel like a child again. Everyone gets a piece of the carrot cake which apparently Drew chose for me. Carrot cake is my favorite.

"I almost forgot," Drew says and turns to address my friends. "I wanted to thank you for your birthday gift to Haley. You know which one I'm talking about, right."

Amy and Jenny nod and laugh while my face turns red in embarrassment.

"Oh what did you get her?" Ashley asks.

"Perfume, bracelet and diary" Amy tells her.

I am thankful she left out the condoms.

Three hours pass and there are still some leftovers. Ashley clears the table after our guests leave. I help her put everything in the dishwasher. "Thank you for doing this. You didn't have to," I tell Ashley.