15. Date

Drew

It is Sunday - my second favorite day of the week after Saturday. My parents will be coming back home late tonight so I have to take Haley out on a date and bring her back before they arrive. I did not tell her where we are going and she keeps persisteing that she hates surprises.

"You'll see. Now stop asking." I still want it to be a surprise.

She is wearing casual clothes just like me. I told her to wear something comfortable and be herself. The only place I thought I could take her where she can have fun is bowling. At least I hope she will enjoy it. I do not know if she ever played it before.

I park in the parking lot of the arcade complex.

"Arcade?" She seems surprised. I do not know if it is a positive or negative reaction.

"Have you ever been to a bowling alley before?"

"No, but I've always wanted to try it."

Good. "Great. Now's your chance. Let's go."

We climb out of the car and I lock it. We walk side by side and, before I can overthink it, I take her hand in mine. She is startled at first but she recovers quickly as she smiles at me. I love her smile.

We pay at the cashier and get our shoes. Then we head to our lane where we see our names on the screen. My name is first so I have to start. We both change our shoes to be able to play.

"My name is first so I have to start. I'll show you what you need to do."

"I think I know how to throw a ball." She looks at other people who are playing on other lanes.

"Okay then. Just to let you know, I'm really good at bowling so get ready to lose." It is true. I always win when I play with my friends, unless I get distracted by girls. Playing against Haley might be challenging.

"We'll see about that." She is challenging me and I have no intention of backing down.

By the end of the game, she crushes me. Like I assumed, I got distracted by her joy of getting a strike on the second round. She jumped and danced like a child. I doubt she never played before. She seems like a pro.

"It's either beginner's luck or you've played before."

"Beginner's luck I guess." She shrugs her shoulders and raises her hands as if she has no control over it. "Don't be a sore loser now."

"I'm not. I'm just stunned. I wasn't expecting you to win on your first try." I look at my phone and see that my parents should be arriving home in an hour or so. "We should get back home. My parents will be arriving soon."

When we arrive at my car, I follow her to the passenger door. I block her so she faces me and her back presses against the car door. I rest my hands on the car, caging her in. "Can I kiss you? Please?" I beg. I usually take what I want without asking but I cannot do that with Haley. It just does not seem right.

Her breath quickens and her cheeks turn pink. She looks at my lips and I can tell she wants to kiss me too. She nods slightly and I take it as a 'yes.' I move my right hand to her neck and pull her face closer to mine until our lips meet. She lets me kiss her and then opens her mouth slightly to let me deepen the kiss. She wraps one arm around my waist and grabs my shirt with her other hand. My left hand wraps around her waist to pull her even closer to me so that our bodies collide.

After what feels like a few minutes, she pulls back. She looks around the parking lot seeming embarrassed even though the people passing are not paying any attention to us. I forgot we are in a parking lot. The feeling of her body against mine took over my brain.

I am left breathless. "That was..."

"Yeah." She is also breathless and her lips are swollen from my attack. She looks even more beautiful right now. I need to get her home before I lose my mind.