45. Three Weeks

Haley

"We haven't been on a proper date since San Jose," Drew breaks the silence as he drives.

It is just the two of us right now because Ashley said she had work to do, but I think she just wanted to give us some privacy.

When I don't say anything, Drew speaks again. "Are we okay?"

I look at him, confused. "What do you mean?"

"Are we still together?"

"Yeah, why?"

"You haven't said a word since we left home."

"I'm just nervous about seeing my father again." I really am nervous. I have no idea what to say to him. It is like getting to know a stranger because that is what he is, even though he is my father.

"I'll be there with you." He takes my hand and squeezes softly.

I simply nod.

My father's apartment is the same as I remembered - a dump.

"So good to see you again, Haley. I didn't think you'd visit again considering the mess in this place."

I do not say anything.

Reluctantly, we sit on the not-so-clean couch and Drew speaks first. "How many more weeks do you have with the ankle bracelet?"

"Three weeks." He turns to me. "We can meet somewhere more pleasent than my apartment. Maybe I can come visit you." His face falls. "But I don't think I have enough money to get there."

"Do you have a job?" I ask.

"No. No one wants to employ a criminal."

"What if you come live with us and we'll help you find a job?" Drew offers. "I'll need to check with my mom first, of course."

My father's face lights up. "That's very generous of you."

"But you have to promise me that you will change your life. No drinking. No smoking. No stealing. And most importantly, you have to be the best father you could possibly be." He glances at me. "Haley deserves that."

My father agrees.

Three weeks fly by. Ashley agreed to have my father live with us. Today, Drew will be bringing him home. He should be arriving any minute now. Ashley already prepared the guest house for him. The guest house has not been used in years and we had to clean it in three weeks. We managed somehow between our school and homework and Ashley's work.

"They're here!" I call to Ashley when Drew's car pulls over.

We have not told Mona he was coming to live with us and I have no intention of telling her or even talk to her for any reason whatsoever. Thankfully, only came by our house once and Ashley sent her away in the rudest way she deserved. I do not think she will be bothering us ever again.

I open the front door for Drew who is carrying only one bag, same as Raymond. He does not have much belongings.

"Welcome to your new home," Ashley tells my father and takes the bag from Drew. "You'll be staying in our guest house. This way."

"Hey, Haley," he says to me before he follows Ashley.

"Hi." My voice does not sound like my own.

"Are you okay?" Drew asks as they walk away.

"I'll be fine. I think. I'm still processing all this. I thought he was dead until a month ago."

"Yeah. Must be overwhelming. Where should we go tonight? I want us to spend some time just the two of us for a change."

"Don't we spend our nights together?" I ask.

"Yes, but all we do is sleep. We do not even talk anymore. You've been distant these past three weeks." He pauses. "Ever since she-who-must-not-be-named kissed me."

I almost laugh at the nickname we gave her after watching Harry Potter with Ashley in the living room one evening.

"You're right," I agree. "What do you have in mind for tonight?"

"How about I leave it as a surprise?"

I groan. "I hate surprises."

"You'll love this one."

Now I am intrigued.