♡ 59

second before the last chapter!
also, trigger warning for brief mentions of blood.

***

seungmin gritted his teeth as he sped his car down the road, the vehicle's headlights brightening up the street in front of him. by now the sun had completely set, which brought about a set of raised eyebrows from his parents when he told them he had somewhere go be this evening. but, they eventually let him go, innocently assuming that he'd be back a couple hours from now.

the streets were desolated, but even if they weren't seungmin wouldn't have slowed down the car in the slightest. rage influenced his actions as he slammed on the gas pedal, accelerating the car even further.

he didn't stop until the vehicle clumsily came to a standstill in front of a rusting yellow sign that led straight into the woods, and that was when he stepped out, the cold wind messily ruffling his shirt and hair.

hopefully, hyunjin will meet this car on the way. i left the key... seungmin thought, determination seeping through his very core as he grabbed the stolen metal in the passenger seat. it shone in his hand, glinting off the light of the full moon.

and with that, seungmin entered the woods.

he was on high alert, his breathing coming out in even pants as he pushed his way through the spindly trees and their overhanging leaves. with his heightened hearing, he was able to decipher some movement up north, along with the distant irregular sound of a pounding heart.

it meant hyunjin was still alive, and he was there...somewhere.

seungmin knew he had to save his friend, no matter the cost, but that didn't mean it was easy to initiate what he'd planned. he wanted to get rid of felix and changbin, but for that to happen, he knew he had to make some sacrifices.

seungmin clenched his fists. for hyunjin.

with that, he started to run, keeping his footsteps light even though he was sure he would've been found out soon.

his grip on the metal tightened and he vowed to himself not to let go of it until when necessary. he couldn't afford to fail, as he knew it would result in hyunjin getting hurt or dying.

the more he moved, the darker the woods got, but luckily, his vision wasn't that affected. he hid behind the hardened trunks of the trees, inhaling little amounts of air until he obtained hyunjin's scent as he came closer and closer.

there his friend was on the ground, blindfolded and tied in front of a tiny hut in front. he wasn't moving, but seungmin could pick up on his rapid and shallow exhales.

he could sense another presence nearby, so he knew he had to act fast.

rushing to the weak boy on the ground, seungmin ripped the ropes securing hyunjin's wrists apart and yanked off his blindfold. the older male's cheeks were wet with tears.

"hyunjin, i'm -- i'm here," seungmin whispered, hating how strained his voice had gotten. "i'm here..."

hyunjin leaned into him, crying into his chest. "t-they were planning on e-eating me, seungmin. they were going to eat me."

"it's okay." seungmin stared at hyunjin. "you're gonna be okay."

the hair on his skin stood on end, an uncomfortable buzz erupting under his chest.

and then something hard hit the back of his head and sent him falling backwards, his body hitting the wooden trunk of a tree.

"seungmin!"