30

Anything would be good right now, anything other than having this awkward dinner with my mom and Johnathan. The person I felt most sorry for was Hunter who sat beside me while listening to the conversation go on between my mom and Johnathan, I could tell that Johnathan was getting closer towards me but I didn't know what to think of that and even if he was making it out to be him making a move on me then I suggest that he back off because Hunter would for sure hurt him. What am I thinking? Seriously, I'm thinking that Hunter would be with me forever when in reality he will probably just dump me in a week.

'Charlotte?' I raised my head up a little to look at Johnathan. 'I apologise for before. You and my son are just the same age and I thought you two could get along better tha-' My cold hard stare stopped him from continuing with his sentence that faltered once my eyes were raised up to his. Hunter's hand was in mine under the table, away from others stares.

'How was it here without me? Pretty sure it would have been quiet.' My mom spoke. I didn't want to be angry at her and I had reasons to be but she was home, she was finally home from being in therapy and if I showed my anger now then I would feel guilty for treating her like that. My features softened as I looked at my mom who smiled weakly at me, she looked as if she was hoping that I didn't yell at her and I wasn't going to. 'It was quiet, but Flora came by to visit and then Hunter came and stayed with me. A whole bunch of things have happened, Nat's pregnant by the way and she's doing good.' The scoff from Johnathan wasn't quiet but he had seemed to think so.

'Oh, that's lovely. How did Liam react to the news?' Oh that cock sucking cunt, he is rotting in jail with his crazed filled mind with a lot of bruises and hopefully more to come his way. 'It's not Liam's baby, Liam's in jail because he hurt her. It's Trevor's and he...he was a weirdo as always about the whole thing but both are doing good.' Mom had a hand to her mouth when I said "he hurt her" but she shook her head and placed her tissue back onto her lap.

'I knew that piece of crap looked suspicious. What's happening with your...with your father's case?' I squeezed Hunter's hand under the table hoping that it would relieve some sort of sadness within me as well as that lump that was lodged in my stomach like a piece of wood. 'Since your back, you could go talk to her. She's Hunter's mom.'

'I'll go see her tomorrow, you'll have to come with us Hunter.' Hunter shook his head politely as if he was trying to control his anger but his grip on my hand said otherwise. 'Can't you tell, they don't get along so he's come to stay here.' I was slowly starting to get tired of the way Johnathan was acting and I'm pretty sure Hunter was too, I'm also sure that Hunter wanted to punch the living day lights out of him too and I would be happy to see that with popcorn on my lap.

'Uh, yeah. T-that's kind of the story. I'm sorry.' Hunter took his hand out of mine, pushed his chair back and walked out of the room. We heard his footsteps descend as he walked up the stairs and probably went into his room and once we heard the door slam close, my eyes flickered to the two people sitting in front of me. 'I didn't know, I should go say sorry.' My mom was the one always to feel guilty whenever she made someone feel sad.

'No mom, it's alright. I'll go up there with dessert, let's just finish dinner okay?' Mom still looked unsure but I gave her my fakest, most best smile and she returned the gesture then continued to eat. Johnathan was eating as well and I couldn't help but feel like he was going to be a controlling man on all of us, something that wouldn't go by me. Plus, I'll probably be punching his face a couple times if he does try anything else especially if, yes if, his son comes over.

'Thanks mom.' I said as I took the plates that had chocolate cake on it, she kissed my head and whispered a "goodnight" and "I love you" before I walked back towards the stairs, passing by the asshole that sat on the couch with his tie loose and on his phone. One look at me, he was on his phone afterwards not bothering to say goodnight to me which I was totally fine with.

I walked up the stairs as I eyed my plate of chocolate cake which was very basic but it's what we had in the fridge because I bought it a couple days ago. When I got to Hunter's door, I knocked on it three times and then opened it. I saw him lying on his bed, with no top on, staring at his ceiling not even acknowledging my presence, then I realised it was because he had earphones in; his head turned towards me as he saw me at his door which made him took his earphones out and sit up in bed as he watched me walked towards him with a little smirk on his face.

'Hey, bought chocolate cake for the both of us.' I said, sitting on the bed and handing him his plate that had a fork in it as I got comfortable on the bed. He whispered a thanks before leaning back on the headboard again as we ate in silence. 'Mom said she was sorry.'

'She doesn't need to say sorry, she didn't know. It's fine, honestly.' Hunter had never been like this which had gotten me curious as to why he was suddenly like this. 'It's not mom's fault, nothing is her fault but I can't blame myself either and it sounds so fucking selfish but I can't blame myself for anything. I've done my best to protect both mom and Milla and both of them have got hurt in the end. It still wasn't enough though, was it Char?'

'It was Hunter, you just don't realise it. You've been the best brother to Milla and a great son even though you are an idiot sometimes but what else could you have done? You've done your best and the only thing you can do now is go to your mom and forgive her because she needs to know you still love her. Plus you get to see Milla more often.' I said.

'I guess so.' He seemed deep in thought for a couple minutes before turning back to me and kissing me, his lips sweet. 'Thank you, Char.'