18

Ben and I were walking to the garden area to greet the guest

Ben and I were walking to the garden area to greet the guest. He thought we should sing for them and as much as I enjoy putting on a show, this didn't feel right. I mean he was going to introduce Mal to our parents. He's going to introduce a girl he doesn't actually like as his girlfriend to our parents... This screams disaster.

"Ben, I know I said I would support you and all but this is cruel. If Mal likes you and you introduce her to our parents as your girlfriend, she's going to get the wrong impression and you'll just be leading her on. I know you said you don't want to hurt her but I think using her as a beard will hurt even more." Ben stopped walking and looked at me. "I am not using her as my beard." He defended himself or at least tried. "Really? That's all you got from what I said?" I shook my head and dragged him so we could hurry up and get this over with.

First Audrey then Mal? Who was he going to hurt next? "Do you think Fairy Godmother is going to talk to mom and dad?" Ben asked. "Why would she?" I didn't tell him about being kicked out of class and having to go see Fairy Godmother so why would he be worried? "Well, I cut yesterday and I just thought that she would want to bring it up to mom and dad."

"You cut class? Woah Benny Boo, you're becoming such a bad boy. What's next, you're going to TP the library?" I joked causing him to roll his eyes.

"There you guys are, we're ready to start this," Doug told us, I looked over his shoulder to see that all the families have arrived. I quickly looked around to see if Evie had showed up and she did. She was with her friends.

"Okay, let's get this thing over with already," I said pushing both Ben and Doug forwards.

"Ma chere, mademoiselle, it is with deepest pride and greatest pleasure that we welcome you tonight." God, I feel stupid, we sounded weird. Ben sounded so weird too.

[play song here]
[start reading once the song is over]

After years of doing this, dancing in heels has become so much easier. I was going to greet the vk's when Ben pulled me back. "It's family day, we have to talk to our parents ya know." Of course. "Right, okay let's go." We walked over to our parents and I felt nervous. I don't know why honestly.

"That was so lovely!" Our mother said as they hugged us one at the time. "Okay, let's take our picture before a line forms." My mother mentioned as the photographer walked towards us. We positioned ourselves, Ben, and I in the middle but he was on my father's side and I was on my mother's side.

"Oh, by the way, I have a new girlfriend!" Ben said before the photographer took our picture. Our parents gasped, very dramatically if I may say. I didn't think Ben would drop the news that quickly.

"Well I never wanted to say anything, but I always thought that Audrey was a little self-absorbed. A fake smile. Kind of a kiss-up." My mother said, and woah, I've never heard her be so judgmental.