The vow

Akashi slowly blinked open his eyes, before they snapped wide in surprise. The scenery around him was different. He was no longer in a forest, but in a sewer-like space. There was nothing around him except water and darkness that spread on for miles and miles. "Where am I?" He asked out loud, even though he knew no one would answer. He though wrong. He wasn't prepared for what awaited him.

"So, you finally came to visit me, human?" Akashi whipped around and froze at the sight before him. The sewer which he thought was empty, wasn't empty. There was a giant red gate with a seal in the middle. He staggered on his feet, taking a step back. "What... what is this?" A loud chuckle echoed through the sewer. "You know what it is". The voice continued, and in that moment glowing red eyes looked at him through the bars of the gate.

"You know who I am". It said. Akashi's eyes widen as he felt terror run through his body. "Nine-Tails?" He whispered, voice cracking. "That is what they call me, yes". He said. The being came closer to the cage and it showed its full height. It towered over the boy, dark orange fur covering each and every part of its body. "How is this possible? How am I speaking with you?" He dared to ask the questions. The fox dragged a dark claw along the gate bar, making a vile screech.

"I am in your mind". It simply answered, not bothering to clarify anything else. "Why am I here?" Akashi changed the question. The fox removed its nail from the gate, settling it in the water beneath its feet. "Why should I answer?" It taunted, smiling a sharp grin. Seeing he was getting nowhere with this, he stepped closer to the cage. "Tell me how to go back... I need to go back!" He raised his voice at the last word. "We are in your mind". The fox continued evading the answer, enjoying the sight before him.

The human was clearly distraught, it started pacing in front of the cage. "Listen here you damned fox! I have no time for your games!" Akashi grabbed the thick bars of the cage in anger. A moment later, huge tails slammed into the bars with such speed it made Akashi fall back in surprise. The tails started wrapping around the bars, trying and failing to open the gate. "How dare you speak to me in such a way, you puny human!? Do you now know who I am?!" The fox started growling and biting at him.

"I am the great Nine-Tails! The strongest of the Tailed Beasts and I will not help any human!" It finished with a final slam on the gate. The gate didn't budge. Akashi watched in disbelief as the fox raged inside the cage. With a quiet chuckle, Akashi stood up, the water dripping down his frame. "You are 'The Great Nine-Tails?' Don't make me laugh". He placed his palm flat on the gate bar. "I see nothing more than a little fox which has no power". He raised his head and looked it straight in the eye.

"Here, you are not strong, and you will tell me how to get back out". His eyes were narrowed, staring without blinking. The fox was surprised to see the human change so quickly. A moment before, it was covering at the sight of him, and now it was mocking him and making demands of him. How peculiar. The fox thought as it watched the anger roll around in waves in its eyes. "You amuse me, human". It said with a dangerous grin. Akashi separated from the gate and his arms dropped at his sides, useless.

"Is there a reason you act like this, fox?" He lowered his head and asked. The fox was taken aback. "I have no reason to answer your question". It growled out. Akashi let out a loud laugh. "What are you laughing about?" It asked, genuinely wondering what the human was thinking about. Akashi shook his head and raised it, revealing the amusement in his eyes. "Were you hated?" He asked and when the fox stayed silent, he continued. "Were you hunted?" The fox bared its teeth at him. "You were created by someone, did that someone leave you?" He asked the final question and the fox exploded.