Genesis

He stayed silent as Gaara gripped onto Naruto.

He stayed silent as Gaara's expression twisted into that of fear.

He stayed silent as they came to a stop near the other ninja.

"Naruto! Akashi!" Sakura exclaimed and ran towards them. Gaara slowly released Naruto and gently lowered the sand he was on as Akashi silently stared at the blond boy.

"There's no time to explain," Gaara said, "Hokage! Come with me!" He extended his hand towards Tsunade, before he glanced at Naruto, "Heal Naruto as much as you can while we're en route."

"I've depleted my chakra. I can't use Medical Ninjutsu anymore," Tsunade answered, "Take Sakura. She can still help a little."

"How did Naruto end up like this?! What happened over there?!" Sakura demanded, looking between the unresponsive Akashi and Gaara.

"Just come!" Gaara forced out, "Don't waste time! I'll explain later!"

"Quickly, Sakura, get on the sand!" Shizune said from besides Tsunade.

"Right!" Sakura answered and immediately began the healing process.

Akashi sat still as the sand was raised and the four of them took off.

He blankly stared at Naruto's unmoving body.

This was his fault.

This wouldn't have happened if he went after him.

... was stronger.

Little one, this isn't your fault. You couldn't have stopped this from happening.

Isn't my fault...? How is it not my fault? My chains broke... They lost... I lost and this happened.

With trembling fingers, he took Naruto's hand in his own. It was cold... So, so cold. How was it possible for him to cool off so quickly? He... Kurama was ripped out of him...

A Jinchuriki without a Tailed Beast is no longer a Jinchuriki...

Naruto was going to die.

His little brother is going to die in front of him.

Because of him. Because of his weakness.

Kurama, can I help him? Is there a way for him to survive? Any way?

Kurama remained silent and that was the only answer Akashi needed.

There was no way to save Naruto.

His teeth pierced through his lip as the realisation flooded through him.

There was no way to save Naruto.

The hold he had on the blond's hand tightened.

There was no way to save Naruto.

He lowered his head, eyes clenched shut.

There was no way to save Naruto.

The tears wouldn't fall.

He can't save Naruto.

_

"Hang in there! Don't give up!" Sakura begged from besides him, "You are strong! You will make it!" She sounded so sure of herself, but it proved useless as her healing faltered.

"Sakura... The Nine-Tails is no longer inside of him," the boy in front of her mumbled out, "Medical Jutsu won't work on him."

Her eyes widened as she stared at him, "No way!"