The burning

AN: I apologize for not posting yesterday, had a bit of trouble with school and such. 

Kakashi's grip on Naruto tightened as he heard the redhead's unrestrained screams of grief. There was so much pain stuffed inside his body, the man wondered how he managed to fit it all in. His voice continuously broke, some sounds came out choked, but he continued... he continued until he could scream no longer.

Then, when he stopped, and he went on for a long time, he shakily climbed up to them. With puffy eyes, runny nose, and bloody lips. His cheeks were wet, but the boy didn't bother wiping them off, he just stopped in front of him and looked at the sleeping boy on his back.

"Are you crying?" Kakashi found himself asking the most obvious question in the world, but to his surprise, Akashi shook his head and turned away to hide his face.

"It's only the rain". He heard him mumble and the man internally winced at how his voice sounded. He had probably injured his vocal cords, but Kakashi wasn't even surprised at the information. The boy did scream his throat bloody.

Kakashi raised his hand up, feeling for the drops which had stopped a while ago. "The rain already stopped". He turned to Akashi, but he wasn't even looking towards him anymore, he was looking towards the opposite direction. "He's there, isn't he?" He asked, even though he already knew.

Akashi glanced back at him, but didn't confirm nor deny his question. Seeing as though he wouldn't be getting much out of the boy, Kakashi shifted Naruto in a more comfortable position. "I think it's about time we go, what do you think?" He peered at the redhead next to him, and received a small nod in return.

And so... they began their journey back to Konoha.

_

Naruto was admitted into the hospital, and Akashi didn't move from his side at all. He just sat... next to his bed and waited for him to wake up. He grit his teeth to stop the tears from falling and his fingers clenched around the fabric of his pants. But... it was no use. Just remembering what happened and how things turned out, made him unable to hold back.

The tears silently slid down his pale cheeks, down his jaw and onto his clenched hands. His teeth clashed painfully as his sobs erupted... like a volcano burst into life. He shook, body trembling with each sob... with each tear that escaped his creased eyes. What was he supposed to do? He wanted an answer... he needed an answer.

"Why are you crying?" He heard the sudden question and looked in front of himself. Disappointment filled him when he saw that Naruto was still asleep. Which meant... He shifted around on the chair and glanced back. There stood the all familiar form of Shikamaru.

Reaching a hand up, he wiped his cheeks, before turning back to Naruto. "Isn't it obvious?" He asked, ignoring the exasperated sigh that came from behind him.

"You're still the same as when you were in the academy... just more... angry at everything". Akashi scoffed at his words, feeling his previous grief be replaced by annoyance. He extended his hand and grabbed Naruto's, gently holding it in his own. "And still as unsociable". The dark haired boy added.

"Did you come here to annoy me? If so, please go and leave me be...", he said, running his fingers over Naruto's skin, "I want to be left alone". Without another word, Shikamaru leaned on the wall behind Akashi.

"Well, lucky you, I'm actually here for Naruto". The other boy said, gesturing towards the sleeping boy. Akashi huffed, but made no further motion to say or do anything.

_

And so a few minutes were spent in dead silence before anything happened.

The unconscious boy in front of Akashi had woken up, slowly raising from his laying position. The redhead was too caught up in his emotions to say anything. "You've finally woken up". Shikamaru spoke first, pushing off the wall and taking a seat on the bed. "Your brother here", he pointed at Akashi, "was deathly worried about you". Naruto glanced at Akashi, an unknown emotion flashing through his eyes.