One Half of A Whole

There was silence to his soul.

He was like fall leaves under frost.

He felt the chill in his blood; coldness bringing the synapses of his brain to a standstill.

Was this how it felt to be empty?

It was like a void. A dark void. A never ending dark void which consumed everything, and he was left with nothing.

His mind felt hollow...

Was he real? Was any of this real?

Something was missing... Something was missing... Something was missing... Something was missing...

A part of him was gone...

He could feel it in his bones...

It was gone and it was never coming back...

Who would have thought this was how it would feel...? He thought he would have felt relief... Something akin to freedom, perhaps? But, the only thing he felt now, was nothingness.

Just imagine it... He spent his whole life with that part of himself there... Present... Always watching and listening...

Sixteen full years... It was always there...

Through the hardships... Through his childhood... Through his childish adventures... Through the pain... Through the anger... Through the hate...

It was there through his lust for world destruction... Always present... Always there...

He was never alone...

It was a part of him he was forced to sever.

There was nothing that could subside the hollowness which laid bare in the depths of his soul.

Nothing.

_

The first thing that greeted him was the sun's scorching light.

That light... Even thought it was supposed to bring him warmth and comfort, brought nothing but coldness into his being.

Its warmth pierced through his hollow soul, but no warmth remained...

It just passed through.

The wind blew no more... There was no breeze to lick at his wounded soul...

The dried grass tickled at his cheek, but he couldn't move... Every nerve in his body felt numb.

Why was he even alive?

He could feel the coopery taste of blood in his mouth, but it didn't matter to him. He felt weak... Too weak... It felt like he couldn't even stand upright on his feet.

Slowly raising his chin from the ground, his hands threaded through the dried grass under him and he felt it crunch between his fingers. The muscles in his body burned and his arms shook, but he continued, gritting his teeth at the pain. Then, just as he pulled himself up, his arms lost their strength and he collapsed back down.

This time, he had landed onto his back, staring up at the bright-blue sky through the thick leaves.

Even breathing hurt.

A sudden cough ripped out of his lips, making him choke up as he tried to take in a deep breath. He couldn't even raise a hand over his lips...

Everything hurt.

The blood splashed against the inside of his mouth and he could do nothing, but feel it trickle down the side of his lips. He needed to get up... He had to get up... He had to do something...