An Angel's Acrimony (Bittersweet Ending, End)

AN: Yeah, I can't help myself when it comes to angst. This chapter will be the direct continuation of the Bittersweet Ending, and it will be the last chapter which is connected to that AU.

~ ¤ || ¤ || ¤ ~

"Falling was just another way to fly, but what meaning does it have to a bird with clipped wings?"

~ ¤ || ¤ || ¤ ~

When they separated, and the silence set in, he could only describe his heartache as an insatiable fire that burnt all the oxygen in his body. It left him listless—empty. He'd describe himself as feeling hollow, like there was nothing that could fill in the hole left in his chest. He felt so raw—like there was no skin over his pain and the wind made it bleed.

He had survived so many fires, that he could no longer tell if he was alive or burning still.

And once the fire grew dim, a thin layer of ice settled in. It cooled his insides, as if it were a gentle reminder of the pain than came before and a warning not to stoke that fire again.

He couldn't see himself ever putting his heart out there again.

There wouldn't be a way for him to survive a second inferno.

_

On cold nights, the sky would be embraced by the fading radiance of an autumn sunset, so dark and dim in colour. The gentle breeze made the leaves rustle and break off the branches, so they could slowly fall before his feet. Autumn had arrived and the vibrancy of nature had died out, replaced by dying browns and rosewood reds.

The evenings were spent in silence, with the distant cicada's singing their lonely song.

He'd climb the tallest building and sit on top, staying awake and awaiting the end of the sun. The wind would thread through his hair, sending pleasant chills down his spine. It was strongest at the top, and it turned into his preferred place to just... be at, with no need to think about anything other than how the wind was whispering sweet nothings throughout the night.

Silently, he'd watch how the sky got darker and darker, but, somehow, the sun wouldn't go down, as if reluctant to give control to the night. Funny enough, he thought it to be a sign of some sorts—a sign which told him that the day was no over yet and that there were still some things needed to be done.

That was a silly thought.

His eyes slipped shut and he leaned back, lying atop the hard surface of the roof.

What else was there to do, except await the end of day?

For a moment there, the wind went ice cold and he momentarily froze, but he brushed the light dread aside, choosing to completely surrendered himself to the insistent sleepiness that had bugged him for the past few hours.

Not even ten minutes passed, before he realised that there was something wrong.

His eyes snapped open and he slid off the building. The moment his feet touched the ground, he lunged forward, reaching the forest in a moment's time.

Is that...?! Kurama yelled inside his mind, his tone showing the disbelief in his voice.

He didn't even answer, instead he focused on reaching the flickering chakra as soon as possible.

No. No. No. No. No.

What was happening?! Why was that happening?! Was there a mistake?! Did he make a mistake?!