chapter forty-six

despite the unfavourable and unfortunate series of events that had taken place in the span of a week, minghao was certainly indifferent

wonwoo, seokmin, seungkwan and somi were all convinced minghao was feigning okay-ness. and heck, he was one hell of an actor. but minghao had reassured them multiple times that he was genuinely OK.

"i'm totally fine. i think i made a good decision with this, so what would i have to worry about?" minghao would say each and everytime someone questioned his surprising obliviousness to the situation.

as it seemed, it was now wen junhui's turn to carry the burden of feeling nothing but utter desolation and unhappiness.

he had spent the whole time browsing through his instagram feed, or running over all his unread emails. and during the unholy school hours, he never found it in himself to find the urge to pay attention to his classes anymore, though that was something he felt on the daily.

it was another monday, approximately one week since the incident. xu minghao stood by his locker as if it were any other day, searching for his english book. wonwoo was right next to him, eyeing the boy curiously.

"are you sure nothing's wrong?"

"what do you mean?"

"like, you haven't stopped eating or anything? no self harm? suicidal thoughts?"

"why would i do any of that?"

"i don't know... i just thought, because junhui-"

minghao rolled his eyes once he realised where he was getting at. "wonwoo, i'm fine. in fact, i'm flipping amazing. don't you see this big smile on my face?" he says, smiling afterwards and pointing at it.

"yes, it's a very convincing and enthusiastic smile." wonwoo comments sarcastically while rolling his eyes. he let out a heavy sigh, leaning against the lockers next to minghao.

minghao cleared his throat. "so, how are you and mingyu doing?" he asks in an attempt to divert the subject, not bothering to turn and look at wonwoo. the name immediately brought a grin to wonwoo's formerly disbelieving face. "good. he wants to hang out tonight."

"really? how adorable." minghao responded, pretending like he actually had it in himself to care anymore. the lack of enthusiasm brought minghao's tactics into light and wonwoo realised what he was doing. "did you just attempt to switch subjects and assume that i wouldn't notice?" he inquired in disbelief, arms crossing as he pushed himself away from the lockers.

"maybe. maybe not." minghao said, finally shutting the locker door. "i left my english textbook at home."

"oh, i can lend you mine- wait, did you just try and change subjects again?" wonwoo asks, lacking doubt as he looked at minghao with disappointment.

minghao only snorted, hugging his arms around the said english textbook that he had not actually left at home. wonwoo sighed, catching up to minghao as the boy began to walk away. "you can't keep this waiting for too long, minghao."