chapter forty-eight

the fact that wen junhui risked it all and dropped a bunch of bouquets in his grasp that had been thrown at him by random girls just to run after little xu minghao definitely raised eyebrows

and the fact that despite rendering junhui a stranger, minghao still confidently resorted to calling him "junnie", and that definitely raised junhui's eyebrows.

and minghao probably took notice of how off it sounded, and so with a clear of his throat he corrected himself, "i mean, junhui hyung."

that didn't really smoothen things, because junhui still found it odd how minghao had come to the conclusion of calling him 'hyung' all of a sudden, despite never doing so before.

but junhui chose to ignore the sudden declaration, and he most definitely wasn't going to go back to square one and consider first name basis. nickname basis sounded much more preferable. "hey, hao." he said, dropping his grip on minghao's forearms to his wrists.

"hi." minghao responded dryly, though his voice wavered the slightest bit. and junhui noticed that too, but he chose not to pay much attention to it. what would you expect, anyway? the pair hadn't spoken for so long.

"how have you been?" asks the taller, not finding any better question to offer.

"...good." minghao answers in his unusually meek voice, pursing his lips right afterwards as he frees himself from junhui's already weak grasp.

junhui shoves his hands down his pockets in response, clearing his throat awkwardly. "i've been good too- if you were wondering." he says in his usual tone, offering the shorter a little smile.

minghao suppressed the urge to reply to that unwanted, reminding sentence with "i never asked.", probably coming to his senses and realising that would be a really rude thing to say.

so in turn, he only nodded slowly, staring at the taller momentarily before scurrying past him to find a way out of the unnerving situation.

"wait-" junhui intercepts, grabbing onto minghao's arm before he could make his great escape. minghao raised his eyebrows in response, feeling the same butterflies in his stomach that he had felt the first time they had interacted, back in the party.

"you know i'm leaving, right?" he asked with knitted eyebrows. he couldn't miss the mere moment that minghao's lips morphed into a frown, before he recovered his composure and nodded.

junhui nodded understandably in response before pursing his lips. "and you have nothing to say to me before i go?" he pressed, raising a curious eyebrow.

"no."

and minghao wasn't lying about that bit, because he truly had nothing to say to the manipulative man that stood in front of him. what would he say, anyway? thank him for using him all this time while having a girlfriend to take care of?