9

Tyler

"I know." She sighed putting on her shoes. "We'll always be just friends."

I watched her walk away and wished I hadn't. With a sigh, I stood up and began to walk after her, but when I entered the banquet hall again, I stopped when I saw Amari laughing as she nudged Jake.

"There you are!" Naomi said grabbing onto my arm. "If I knew you'd be abandoning me all night I would've stayed home."

I didn't reply as I watched Amari and Jake walk away happily. Naomi looked at them and sighed.

"They're so cute, I have to admit." Naomi smiled softly. "And here I was thinking she'd be competition."

"Competition for what?" I asked glancing down at her.

"For you." Naomi said looking up at me. "I thought you two had a thing. Everyone thought you two had a thing. Turns out, you're apparently not even her type. He is."

I sighed and pushed Amari out of my head trying to enjoy the rest of the night.

4 weeks later

Amari and I hadn't spoken since the banquet. Maybe she was embarrassed about what she had said or things between us had actually changed, but either way we weren't speaking. I was unable to focus on whatever the Government teacher was saying as I scribbled in my notebook.

 I was unable to focus on whatever the Government teacher was saying as I scribbled in my notebook

If I were being honest, I didn't know if I had drawn Amari and me or Amari and Jake. I sighed and flipped my notebook shut before putting my head down.

"Are you okay?" Chase asked.

"Fine." I mumbled. "Just a little sick."

I glanced up and across the class at Amari who was taking notes and texting Jake at the same time. It was a routine she had developed.

"Do you miss her?" Chase asked and I looked at him confused. "Amari. You two haven't talked in weeks and haven't been hanging out."

"How would you know that?" I asked.

"You have so much free time now." Chase laughed. "What happened between you two?"

"Nothing." I said shrugging before sighing. "I don't know."

The bell rang and every began to pack up.

"Well, you better go figure it out." Chase nudged me and I sighed walking out of the class behind Amari.

I followed her to her locker and sighed before approaching her.