11

Tyler

Why was she pretending to be happy? I thought she wanted me! I thought she was my best friend. How could she be so happy with Jake? What did he have that I didn't? I'm better than him in every way. Why couldn't she see that?

"Tyler, can you come help with the drinks?" Jake asked standing up.

"Sure." I mumbled following him into the kitchen.

He grabbed four drinks out of the fridge and I grabbed four cups.

"Do you think Amari's having a good time?" Jake asked as I sat the cups on the counter.

I shrugged.

"I mean, probably. Probably not." I mumbled.

Jake opened the sodas and began pouring them into the cups.

"Amari doesn't drink Coke." I said when I noticed that he had two Cokes and two Dr. Peppers. "Or any dark sodas for that matter."

"Really?" Jake asked glancing at the drinks he had pulled out. "I guess I still have things to learn about her, huh?"

"I guess so." I shrugged.

I went over to the fridge and grabbed a Sprite.

"She'll drink this." I said.

"Thanks." Jake smiled opening it. "You really know a lot about Amari, huh?"

"Yeah. We grew up together. I should." I said leaning against the island.

"Are there any romantic feelings there?" Jake glanced over to me and I shrugged with a smirk. "I'm not an idiot. I see that Amari isn't shy or nervous. I see that you wanted to come to keep an eye on us. I can't see why. Do you not trust me with her?"

"Oh, I trust you enough." I said. "The thing is, I don't trust myself. If I let you two get together, I'll only want to break you two up. Therefore, you can't be together. It won't happen if I have anything to do with it. I've already made up my mind."

"So you do like her?" Jake said throwing away the cans.

"Hm, not like that." I shrugged. "Just enough to want her to remain available."

"But that's selfish." Jake said. "You don't want to be with her, but you also don't want to see her happy with someone else. She has to watch you be with Naomi, but you can't watch her with me? Some friendship. Seems very one sided."

"It's not like that." I shook my head. "When I started with Naomi, there were no romantic feelings between Amari and I. When things started between you and Amari, I think she already had a thing for me."

"It doesn't matter how, when, or why things started between whoever. What matters is that you can't accept the fact that there are things happening." Jake slid two cups over to me. "I don't know how you managed to keep Amari to yourself all these years, but you won't be scaring me away too easily. Consider this me accepting whatever challenge you throw my way."

And with that, he left the kitchen. I chuckled and grabbed the two cups before following behind him. I handed Naomi her cup and sat beside her before glancing over at Amari and Jake. He looked at me before sipping his drink and looking back to Amari.

Friendly Competition? I don't do friendly.

———————

I know this is a bit short, but I'm working on it.

I've written so many chapters that are scheduled to take place later on, but I still have to work up to them.

I'm also working on some other books, but I'm not sure when I want to publish them.

There's so much and I'm excited!