19

Tyler
10 Years Ago

"Tyler, I can't sleep." Hunter said quietly from the opposite side of my closed door.

I climbed off of my bed and walked over the door to pull it open for my 5 year old brother. Hunter rushed in with tears in his eyes.

"Lewis, stop yelling at me!" Mom yelled at Dad.

"Stop giving me reasons to yell at you!" He yelled back.

I hurried and closed the door back before walking Hunter over to my bed. Why was he up? Mom had put him to bed before she and Dad started arguing. How had he managed to leave his bedroom? He was barely tall enough to reach the door knobs!

"Want to watch a movie?" I asked Hunter who sat on the floor pulling at the carpet.

"No..." He mumbled.

"Want to play hide and seek?" I asked.

He shook his head.

"Mom's very loud..." Hunter sighed looking up at me.

Mom hardly yelled. This was new to him and I didn't know how to handle this.

"Her and Dad are just having a talk." I said sitting beside him. "They're talking loud because they're excited."

"Really?" Hunter asked.

"Really." I nodded.

I went to say something else, but a loud crash cut me off. Tears streamed down Hunter's face as he stared at me afraid.

"Here." I handed him a pillow off of my bed. "Lay down. I'll be back."

"Where are you going?" Hunter asked standing up.

"To get water." I mumbled helping him onto my bed. "Stay here."

I left the room and closed the door behind me. Quietly I followed the sound of things crashing until I was in the living room staring at my parents.

"Look! You woke up the kids!" Dad yelled at mom. "Go back to bed Tyler!"

"Don't yell at him!" Mom yelled at Dad.

She came over to me and gently grabbed onto my shoulders.

"Stop babying him! You're not raising a girl, Maya!" Dad yelled. "Tyler, go in your room!"

"Why?" I asked looking over to Mom.

"Don't question authority, boy!" Dad yelled getting angrier.

"Tyler, baby go back to sleep. Everything is okay." Mom shook her head and patted my back.

I shook my head and walked away. I went into Hunter's bedroom and got his jogging pants, a jacket, some shoes before going  back to my room.

"Where's the water?" Hunter asked sitting up to look at me.

"I forgot it." I lied. "Come on. Put this on."