15

Jake

Why was he here? Why were they here alone? Did he try something on her? Why is he so interested in our sex life?

"Jake." Amari groaned waving her hand in my face.

"Sorry. I was thinking about something." I said nervously rubbing the back of my neck.

"Can you think about me?" She asked grabbing onto my face.

"I'm thinking about you." I laughed kissing her forehead. "I think about you all the time."

She smiled and walked over to her closet.

"So, Tyler's here?" I asked sitting on her bed.

"Yeah." She said. "He's staying over."

"I guess you two made up then, huh?" I asked staring down at my hands playing with a loose thread on her blanket.

"Yeah. We talked." She sighed. "We've been friends all our lives. It's pretty easy for us to make up."

It shouldn't be. That guys an asshole that only wants Amari because I want her. Why is she so blind?

"Hey. My Aunt and I are visiting my Mom soon. Do you maybe want to come?" I asked.

"Visiting your mom?" She asked walking over to the bed. "You want me to meet your mom?"

"Yeah." I nodded. "I mean, I really like you and I think she might too. We're going this weekend."

"I can't." She shook her head sitting beside me. "This weekend is Lana's birthday and I'm helping her with her party preparations."

I wonder if Tyler is going to the party...

"That's alright." I nodded. "Maybe it's too soon anyway. I mean, we aren't even really dating yet."

She nodded in agreement. Why was I being so awkward and boring? Tyler had gotten into my head and now I could only think about him and her. Them together. Amari looked around her room at a loss and I knew she was bored. Should I just leave? There's no way I'm leaving him here with her alone.

"So..." I started and Amari looked at me. "Summer is winding down."

"Yeah, but we live in Arizona. It's always Summer." She laughed. "Why're you acting so strange? We can open the door."

"No. The door is fine. I'm just tired." I shrugged. "You know, looking through so many dresses can do that to a person."

She laughed and I couldn't hold back my smile. She was perfect. Was she perfect for me or Tyler, though? Which one of us were perfect for her?

"Speaking of dresses, I got you something." I smiled standing up and walking over to the dress bag I had hung on the doorknob. "My Aunt is opening up another dress shop across town in January and she's throwing a luncheon to celebrate. I want you to be my date."

I handed her the dress bag and she smiled at me. I watched her lay the bag across her bed and unzip the bag. Her mouth fell open in astonishment as she stared down at the soft dress that was an even softer shade of purple.