30

Amari

I couldn't help but be nervous and angry.

Angry because Jake hadn't told me that we were staying with his mother while we were here. Nervous because I was meeting his mother!

"Calm down." Jake laughed squeezing my hand. "Stop fidgeting. You'll be fine."

"What if she doesn't like me?" I asked looking over to him.

"What if?" He scoffed. "She definitely won't."

I looked at him with an open mouth and furrowed brows. Why had he bought me here if he knew his mom wouldn't like me?

"She's not right in the head." He shook his head. "She's an addict and an alcoholic. She doesn't like anyone."

"So how does she afford a place like this?" I asked staring at the beautiful house.

It was smaller than ours, but beautiful nonetheless.

"My aunt." He said staring at the house. "My aunt actually owns the house. My mom just lives here while we're in Arizona."

I nodded.

"Anything else I should know about your mother?" I asked sighing.

"Not that I can think of." He shook his head. "Let's go."

He pulled me into the open front door and we were met with a strong smell of alcohol and Jake's Aunt yelling at someone.

"Pull yourself together Patricia!" She yelled. "I told you we were coming Today."

"Sorry Mar." Jake's mom apologized. "Sorry."

She was clearly drunk or hung over. She stumbled and handed Jake's Aunt the bottle of liquor she had been sitting on the floor drinking. She ran a hand through her messy blonde hair before finally looking up at Jake and I.

"Jakey?" She smiled. "Come give your mom a hug, baby!"

She opened her arms, but Jake didn't move as he instinctively stepped in front of me.

"I'm gonna take Amari to my room." Jake said looking at his Aunt.

"Okay." She nodded. "Come on Pat. Let's get you cleaned up."

"Oh, Mar. I can take care of myself." She said stumbling over to the small bathroom between the kitchen and the living room. "Whose Amari?"