39

Amari

I sat bored at the table Hunter and Angel had sat their coats at. They went to dance and I really wasn't in the mood right now.

So I was alone with a drink in the middle of what could pass for a very boring party for old people.

"Bored?" A familiar voice asked from behind me.

"Jake?" I asked turning around and being met with him in a suit.

"Yes ma'am." He smiled sitting beside me. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." I shook my head pushing me drinks away. "What're you doing here?"

"My Aunt is here to talk to some guy with a chain of hotels about putting a little boutique in them with her dresses." He shrugged. "What're you doing here?"

"I'm Tyler's date." I said. "He's rubbing elbows with future business partners."

"You're his date?" Jake asked.

"Oh, yeah!" I nodded. "We're together now."

"I kind of figured that." Jake chuckled looking down at the table. "I just meant that you're sitting here alone. That doesn't seem like a date to me."

I didn't say anything, just pulled the drink back over to me.

"I know this might be a bit inappropriate given the circumstances..." Jake started. "But, if you were my date, I wouldn't leave you here alone and bored. Especially if you've been drinking."

"Jake stop." I mumbled.

"I know." He nodded grabbing my hand. "You chose who you wanted. I respect your decision, but I'm just saying."

I pulled my hand away from his and cleared my throat.

"Yeah, well the conversations are boring so I wouldn't want to be around them anyway." I said sipping my drink. "Tyler knew that."

I hope that's why he didn't ask me to come along with him.

"Maybe." Jake shrugged. "You look gorgeous by the way. I don't know if I told you that yet."

"You haven't." I smiled at him. "Thank you."

Tyler

"So you learned to fly a plane simply because your Father wouldn't let you go anywhere you couldn't take yourself?" I laughed.

"Yeah." Danielle nodded with a laugh. "I mean, after I realized I could drive myself to the classes it was over."

Danielle and I started talking to avoid talking about serious stuff, but after a while I realized that she wasn't half bad.

"You know..." Danielle sipped her drink. "We've been talking for what? Two hours almost and you have yet to compliment me. That's quite rude."

She had a playful smirk pulling at her face and I laughed.

"You're right." I nodded. "You look beautiful, Danielle."