20

Maya Brooks (Tyler's Mom)

"I just don't know how to fix us anymore." I cried in Char's chest as she rubbed my back.

"Maya, think about this." Char whispered. "Don't do anything too harsh."

"I've thought about it. I've been thinking about it!" I cried. "Lewis and I have been having problems for years. I don't know where we go from here."

"What about counseling?" She suggested. "I know you two did that for a while. Did it work any?"

"Obviously not." I sniffled sitting up. "Char, I tried to fight through this for Tyler and Hunter, but I don't think I have any fight left."

"You two are business partners, Maya. You're throwing away a lot more than just the 'r' in 'Mrs.'." She said.

"I know." I sighed. "My family, my career, half of our assets. There's a lot that's being lost."

"If you're willing to lose all of that, then go for it." Char shrugged. "I'm not trying to convince you to stay with Lewis, but you two have built a life together. There is no going back after this."

"What will Tyler and Hunter think?" I asked.

"Tyler isn't dumb. He knows what's going on." She shook her head. "Hunter's the baby. He's going to have to find out one way or another."

"I don't want to make them feel like they have to choose, though." I stared down at my hands. "I don't want them to pick sides and I don't want to ruin their holiday."

"I get that and I'm sure they'll understand once you sit them down and talk to them. Talk with them because when it comes to something like this, you have a lot to explain, but you have to listen to them and how they feel. You all need to be on the same page here." Char explained. "I mean, you can wait until we're all back home to do this, but there's never a right time for this type of thing."

She always knew what to say. She always knew how to deliver the hard truth without seeming cruel. Maybe that's why we were best friends. Maybe that's why her marriage was perfect and mine was about to be nonexistent. Why couldn't she deliver the news to them? Why hadn't I been blessed with her abilities?

Amari

"Its cold!" I laughed rushing into the house.

I waved my hands and jumped around shivering.

"Where did you go?" Dad laughed walking over to me.

"I went to buy some thicker socks." I tossed my bag to him and he opened it to look at my socks.

"Nice. I want these." He pulled out the socks with snowmen all over it.

I kicked my boots off before rushing to take off my hat, gloves, and coat. It was freezing!

"Oh my God!" I squealed running over to my Dad.

He laughed and pulled me into a big warm hug while also blowing his breath in my face as I struggled to get away.

"That's nasty!" I laughed turning my head.