13

Tyler
Monday

Phase 1: Get back into Amari's good graces.

Walking into school with a pep in my step and a smile on face seemed to confuse everyone. For one, I walked in alone and not with my usual army of lug head football players or Amari by my side. Everyone knew about how Amari and I had fallen out and I bet they were confused about why I was so happy. Doesn't matter. All of that is about to change. I walked over to Amari's locker where she stood talking to Lana. Today I had put on Amari's favorite cologne and I dressed up in a way that I knew she'd like without thinking that I was trying too hard.

 Today I had put on Amari's favorite cologne and I dressed up in a way that I knew she'd like without thinking that I was trying too hard

I leaned against the lockers once I approached Lana and Amari. They both fell silent and looked at me. Lana turned red and Amari raised an eyebrow at me.

"Yes?" Amari asked closing her locker.

"Can we talk for a moment?" I asked.

"About?" She said turning to fully face me.

"Us." I mumbled staring into her eyes. "I miss us."

I could see Amari go physically weak, but she quickly built her walls again. Lana stood by awkwardly watching.

"Tyler, we're not doing this again." Amari shook her head.

"We don't have to." I said gently grabbing her hand. "We can start over."

She stared at our hands for a second before Lana pushed into the conversation.

"That's enough." Lana shook her head pulling Amari away. "As Amari's girl best friend, and probably only best friend since you did her wrong, I cannot sit and watch this. I'm supposed to keep her strong and that's what I'll do."

"What're you talking about?" I asked glancing at Lana then staring at Amari.

I don't know why, but my eyes just couldn't leave her. This was more than a competition with Jake or me wanting her to myself. I don't know what it was, but something changed. Besides, winning never hurt anyone.

"You hurt her feelings. I can not in good conscious allow her to crawl back to you. Besides, she has Jake." Lana turned to look at Amari. "A good guy who treats her right and has never hurt her feelings."

"You can't brainwash her!" I argued covering Amari's eyes. "And who cares about Jake? The guy is old news."

"Well, wouldn't you be older news?" Lana scoffed glaring at me.

"No. Our feelings for each other are newly found." I mocked her tone. "Now mind your business."

"Our?" Amari asked.

I removed my hand from Amari's face and grabbed onto her hand.

"I need to talk to her in private." I glared at Lana.

"No. I'm not letting that happen." Lana grabbed onto Amari's other hand. "You don't like her. Don't keep playing with her."

"How do you know what or who I like?" I asked annoyed. "Lana, no disrespect, but you don't know about us or what we have going on."

"Can I say something?" Amari asked.

"Then tell me." Lana shrugged. "Do you like her? What do you two have going on?"

I glanced at Amari who was staring at Lana. There was a sense of comfort written across her face. Lana was playing my role. The protective best friend. Lana had to be that friend because I wasn't. Even if Amari didn't choose me over Jake, I at least wanted to be in her life. I at least wanted to be her best friend again. I at least wanted to be apart of her life again. I'd take anything at this point. A sigh escaped my lips and they both looked at me.

"Well, if you must know, I'm not here to beg Amari to leave Jake for me." I glanced at Amari. "But I'm not saying I would argue with her if she chose to do that." I looked back to Lana. "I'm here to beg Amari to forgive me. I've been an idiot, I know. I just want to be her best friend again. We can go back to being brother and sister. I don't care. Is that okay, Lana?"

Lana bit her lip and glanced at Amari then back to me. She sighed and pulled Amari over to her.

"I don't know. You're not good for her, Tyler. You know that." Lana sighed. "Come on. We have to stop by the counselor's suite."

Amari

I walked beside Lana in silence. Tyler was heavy on my mind and, as much as I hate to admit it, I wanted to run into his arms and forget all about everyone else. I know that Lana really likes us together and I know that what she did was hard for her to do, but I appreciated it.

"If you do decide to be with him, I wouldn't blame you." Lana said as we walked upstairs. "He's cute and he has a way with words. Not to mention that you two have history."

"What about Jake?" I asked.

"If you decide to stay with Jake, I'd get that too. He's a sweetheart and he's crazy about you." Lana sighed dreamily. "Either way, whether they're tears of joy or sad tears, I'll hold you when you cry."

"Who do you think I should choose?" I asked.

"Someone who will hold you when you cry so that I'll never have to be the bad guy again." Lana laughed nudging me. "Ooo. And someone with cute friends because I'm tired of being single."

"When I'm set, you'll be set." I laughed.

Does this mean that Tyler likes me? That he wants to be with me? How long would it last this time?

I'm not here to beg Amari to leave Jake for me but I'm not saying I would argue with her if she chose to do that.