Chapter 32

Leigh opened the door to his car and let Michael in. It felt odd for both of them to be alone together and both of them didn't want to share a word with the other, even though Leigh's head was full of questions he wanted to ask. He knew that it was inappropriate and he knew that he needed to deal with this situation like a professional and not let his feelings take over. But oh, how hard it was for him to keep his mouth shut.

"Why?" This question slipped over his lips so easily, even though he had tried so hard to hold it back.
But this single word wasn't enough for Michael ro understand what he meant. And even though his head screamed at him to just play it off and shut his stupid mouth, he asked again. But this time he was being more specific.

"Why y/n? Why did it have to be him and not someone else? Why didn't you kill him when you had the chance to? Why?" His head started to hurt. His mind still screamed at him to close the fucking door and leave Michael in the car. But he brushed it off. He wanted to hear Michael's answer. And even though he knew that it wouldn't please him, he wanted to hear it from Michael, so the part of him that was so curious about everything that happened between them would finally be satisfied.

For a moment Michael just stared at Leigh with wide eyes; he didn't expect anyone to ever ask him those questions and he definitely didn't know how to answer them. A part of him still couldn't understand why he let y/n live, why he let him get so close.

"I don't know. It just happened. But I swear, what I felt for him, no, what I still feel for him is real." He said, staring into the sheriff's eyes. Leigh sighed. "Are you sure about that?" Michael's expression stayed cold, but his eyes showed Leigh everything he needed to know; Michael seemed to be staring through him, as if he wasn't even there. As if he was slowly fleeing into another reality. "I am." He said, and Leigh believed him. His voice sounded quiet and soft, but still stern. It didn't fit to the man he was supposed to be; a psychotic murderer with no sense of humanity. An emotionless monster, or how Loomis loved to put it, 'the reincarnation of evil'. But right at that moment, Michael looked more fragile than anyone Leigh had met before.

He decided to leave their conversation there (it didn't seem to be healthy for Michael to continue it now) and closed the door of the car, his eyes staying on the man with his hands in cuffs for a while longer, before he decided to go back into the house and call back-up.

In his head he already went through everything he wanted to tell y/n's parents. How the hell could I tell them that I couldn't keep the promise I made. It'll break your poor mother's heart, boy. And, Jesus Christ, what about your father? They will surely send me to hell for this. He was scared of their reaction. He knew how hard it was to lose a child and he never wanted them to experience something like that. But there was nothing he could do now and as much as he hated to admit it, he knew that there was nothing that could have been done in the first place.

As he reached out, to open the door, someone on the other side suddenly swung it open; if Leigh hadn't reacted fast enough and hadn't taken a step back it would have hit him in the face. Loomis, who now stepped outside, stared at him wide-eyed. "Once again, I did your job and called back-up. They'll be here soon so you should better get into your car and take that sonofabitch back to Haddonfield. I'll stay here and deal with their questions and shit."

Leigh raised a brow at that. Normally he would have waited until the authorities arrived but this time he had to agree with Loomis. He was tired. And he definitely didn't want to talk to anyone, even though it was his job. I bet it won't take long until some reporters find out and arrive here as well. I really don't want to deal with those vultures.

"And you think you're sane enough to do that on your own?" Leigh asked with a serious face. Loomis expression darkened, but his voice sounded calm as he answered with a quick 'I am'.