Chapter 33

||Two weeks later||

The freshly widowed man wasn't able to cry anymore. He already felt like he dried out after his son's funeral but when he lost his wife, too, all that had been building up inside him, everything he had been holding back, so he could be a strong supportive husband to his wife, finally came out, leaving him a crying mess when he watched his wife's coffin disappear in the hole next to his son's grave.

Even though he was only 45, he looked older than he did ever before. The bags under his sad eyes were dark, the wrinkles that were already showing on his face seemed a lot more visible than they actually were. His face showed no emotion, even though he just lost the only two people in his life he loved more than anything else. But still, there was nothing.

After losing their son it had already been hard enough for them, both, but he really thought that he and his wife could try to keep on living, for their boy, because that's what he would have wanted.
He kept telling himself that everything was going to be okay, that they were going to be okay and that everything could go back to normal.

But then his wife overdosed on Novril (since she was a nurse, she had access to all sorts of medication) the day after their boy's funeral, hoping to escape the psychological pain and the emptiness of the loss. He had found her cold lifeless body lying on the bathroom floor when he came home from work, hours after she took her last breath, and his world just collapsed. He had attempted CPR after he had called 911, but it had been too late already. His only reason to live was gone, and with her the only hope of being able to live a normal life, ever.

He rummaged through the drawer of his desk, looking for the gun he had bought when his son had disappeared, just so he was ready to shoot the sonofabitch who took their boy, if he'd ever get the chance to. But now he had other intentions for it.

The man slowly left what once was 'their room' in which he and his wife spent many hours loving each other. Where his son would come in (he had been about 7 years old back then) after he had a nightmare, seeking comfort from his parents. Where they spent sleepless nights together after they brought their son home from the hospital, his wife holding the new born in her loving arms while singing him to sleep.

He always thought that they would grow old together. And that they would be sitting in their rocking chairs on the patio, talking about old times while watching the sun set together. Maybe they would have had grandchildren by then, who would run around in their backyard, their highpitched voices keeping the whole neighbourhood awake.

But these dreams would never come true.
The whole Wilson family, taken too soon by what he thought was God's will. Oh, what an unfair world they were living in. He wanted nothing more but to finally end the misery he was feeling and join his son and wife in the afterlife. If there even is one he thought. He held the gun against his temple, ready to pull the trigger, when he suddenly heard the phone ringing in the room next door.

With the gun still in position he debated if he should answer the call first, just to see who was calling at a time like this. And he did.

He took the gun down, keeping a tight grip on it as he went to answer. His hand reached for the phone as he mentally prepared himself to talk to someone else but his therapist since his wife's funeral.
"Hello?" He knew that it wasn't really polite to answer the phone like that, but he couldn't care less; he just wanted to get over this.

"Paul? This is Leigh. I'd like to talk with you about something and I'd suggest that you sit down for that." Paul took the sheriff's advise and sat down, waiting for the man on the other line to continue.

"I know you went through a lot and please remember that you don't have to go through this alone. Christ, I've been friends with you since you moved to Haddonfield, I saw your boy grow up. And I know how hard this is for you, he took my child as well." Mr. Wilson nodded, even though he knew the sheriff couldn't see it. "I know I probably should wait until you feel better, and to be honest, I'm actually not allowed to tell you this. But I think you have the right to know."