Christmas special 2

The streets of Haddonfield shone brightly, filling the cold dark night with a warm atmosphere. Fairy lights hung over trees in the front yard, on fences and on windows, some blinking yellow while others were bright red and green.

Families had come together and were now celebrating, filling their stomachs with scrumptious treats. Music pervaded through the houses, the wind joining in the songs with it's loud and high voice.

While all the adults were talking and all the children were playing with their new toys, a shadow hushed without remark through the streets; he went past the Myers' house, following the road to the town's church.

The powdery snow brushed against his tall and broad figure, clinching onto his heavy coat. The cold substance didn't bother the unknown shadow at all; it had never.

He squinted slightly, not used to the bright colours that surrounded him on this day. He had last seen something like that on Christmas after his fifth birthday. In the asylum there had never been anything like that, since it was too dangerous for some patients.

He brushed the snow out of his hair, the soft substance getting caught by a breeze that went past Michael. He sighed quietly, seeing the church's belfry protruding from afar.

He watched a group of carol singers walking from door to door, dressed in vintage dresses and suits, singing cheerful Christmas carols for the people in the town; they have been doing this for years to gather money for a good purpose.

Michael went past them as they came down the stairs from a small porch; he put his hand into his coat pocket, fumbling around it as he looked for money. He pulled out a 20 dollar bill and handed it to one of the young women in a beige dress and a brown cloak.

"Oh, thank you, sir. May God bless your kind soul. Merry Christmas." She gave him a gentle smile before she and her group went to the next house, leaving Michael on his own again.

His eyes followed the singers until they reached the gate from a small, yellow house. Then he continued his march to the church, stuffing his hands into his pockets.

It didn't take him long to reach the gate to the graveyard. It let out an exhausted moan as he opened it, letting him pass onto the deads' resting place. He didn't know why he was there, neither did he know why exactly he had taken the risk to come back to the city, but it felt like it was the right thing to do.

Observing all the lined up gravestones, he was looking for one specific name. His heart beat fast in his chest, faster than it ever had before; he didn't know why he was so nervous, but he hoped that this feeling would go away soon.  

Seeing all those graves unsettled him, even though he had had an encounter with death more than once. Some of the names he saw he recognised as the ones from the teenagers he had killed eleven years ago.

The snow crunched under his heavy boots as he followed the path, his eyes now focusing on a grave with fresh flowers. He stepped closer, his heart never calming down, as he kneeled in front of the gravestone. With one hand he brushed the white powdery beauty off the inscription on the grey surface.

In loving memory of Y/n Wilson, who was taken too soon.
'One short sleep past, we wake eternally
And death shall be no more; Death, thou shalt die.'-John Donne

"Found you." His deep voice got swallowed by the howling wind; if someone else would have been there with him they wouldn't have noticed that he had said anything at all. His eyes went past the boy's date of death, not wanting to remember the pain he had went through when he had lost him.

Instead, his thoughts went back to the wonderful moments they had spent together, like the time in the small café; y/n's hair had been slightly wet from the rain that day, the water drops glistening in the light that illuminated the cosy room.

The picture in his head changed to one of the mornings he woke up next to y/n in the wooden house. The sun had been shining through the window, colouring it in her orange light. The boy's hair had been a mess and he had felt ashamed about his looks, but Michael found it fascinating and beautiful.

He missed holding y/n's sleepy figure in his arms, falling asleep to the boy's quiet evenly breathing. He missed his cheerful laugh that would warm his heart everytime he heard it. He missed everything about the only one he ever truly loved.

His eyes darted down to the candles on the in snow covered ground and without really thinking about it he pulled out a lighter, lighting them with care. He held a hand above the flickering flames to protect them from the snowflakes that tried to extinguish them again.

Michael placed his free hand on the stone, the white powder under it melting from his heat. The beautiful scenery he had in his head a second ago changed to the gruesome moment where the life left y/n's body; the tears in his e/c eyes, the blood that dyed the fabric of his shirt red, the fear in his face. Everytime he closed his eyes this exact moment repeated itself in his head, over and over again.

"I wish you were here with me today. You would have looked beautiful surrounded by all the lights." His voice was quiet, his heart sunk deep in his chest. He looked up into the sky, snowflakes falling softly upon his face; it was a clear night, the stars shining brightly upon his head.

Oh, how much he wished for y/n to be there with him, under the beautiful night sky, feeling the cold on their skin together. Oh, how much he wished he could touch y/n's skin and kiss his perfectly soft lips one last time.

"Merry Christmas, y/n." He closed his eyes, rising slowly over the grave. He couldn't bear to stay any longer, even if he wanted to. He turned on the back of his heels, leaving the grave behind. He stuffed his hands back into his pockets, his head hanging low when he stepped back onto the road.

The small flames of the candles Michael had lighted fluttered and danced for a second, before they went out completely. The line of grey smoke that rose into the night got brushed away by the wind, the wax cooling of immediately as if they had never been lit.

Hey, my dear readers.
I hope you liked this little surprise I prepared for you and that it wasn't too sad.
I felt like I needed to write one last chapter for you and for me, so I hope you enjoyed reading this.
Also, I want to thank you all for encouraging me to write this story and for all the lovely comments you left on my chapters.

Today is a day of joy and happiness and I hope you all got what you wished for.
Merry Christmas!