Turning Grey

Jessica sits on the bed of the bed and directs Nikki on how she wants her legs for the examination. "Okay that is brilliant," She says as she begins to examine Nikki. "this is going to feel weird, deep breath" She smiles as gently pushes two fingers into her to feel for her dilation.

Nikki takes a sharp breath and tries to shift a little to ease the pain, a few tears leak from her eyes but she continues to put on a brave face. Jack sees her pain and takes back up and leans beside her and holds her hand, "good girl" he mumbles and kisses her cheek.

"Okay, all done" She smiles pulling off her gloves and binning them in the waste bin located in the corner of the room. "So from the examination I would suggest that you are six centimeters dilated already, and you're very close to the transition phase, definitely a quick baby for you, can't wait to meet you both" She smiles as she puts some hand sanitizer on and then lifts up Nikki's top and feels her bump.

"Everything okay?" Jack asks as she feels her bump and moves her around a little.
"Yes I was just reading your notes before the examination on my iPad that baby was back to back, I highly doubt that baby is back to back anymore" She explains and writes some notes before leaving them for a while.

Nikki smiles and looks at Jack with a half-hearted smile, "What's wrong Nik?" Jack asks noticing her looking at him.
"Nothing, this in pain" She replies as she lies on her side to look at Jack better.
"Woah, Woah, Woah... how can that be nothing? you're in pain, of course, it's something to worry about" He replies.

She rolls her eyes and holds her stomach, "It's okay, I gave birth to Poppy without pain relief... I can do it again" She replies.
Jack sighs and watches her, "Look Nikki, you're going to wear yourself out... anyway you are three years older now, how can this be the same?" he questions her but she ignores him and lies there on the bed counting her contractions as they come in waves.

Twenty minutes later Nikki cries out in pain, this instantly makes Jack jump who has never heard such a noise come from Nikki. "What's wrong?" He asks springing from the armchair, almost dropping his phone in the process.

"That contraction was a strong one... they're coming quick now" She sats as she sits upright and Jack notices the sweat forming on her face and neck. He notices a hair-band on her wrist and grabs it off her and slips her hair up into a messy ponytail to try and keep her cool.

"I'm going to get the midwife, you're clearly progressing quickly this time" He chuckles and quickly places a kiss on her head and leaves the room to find a midwife.

He can't find Jessica but grabs the nearest midwife, "Sorry, my partner... she's getting a lot more contractions, Jessica her midwife said she was six centimeters dilated like twenty-something minutes ago. Can someone come and check her?" He speaks to an older woman.

She nods and looks over at the midwife sat in the nursing station, "Room 8, I'm just going to check, Jessica is on her break" She calls over and the other midwife nods before looking back at her computer.

Jack and the older midwife walk into the room where Nikki is, "Hi Nikki, I am Andrea... Jessica is on her break so I shall come and do a little examination" She smiles grabbing some gloves and perching herself on the bed.

"The contractions are minutes apart now," Nikki says as she pants through another one.
"Okay, some slight discomfort" Andrea smiles and checks the dilation.

Jack comes and stands beside Nikki and holds her hand, "Jack I need a drink" She mumbles and Jack lets go of her hand and he passes her a small cup of water. She sips it gently before passing it back to Jack who puts it down.

"Okay, you're fully in transition now, nine centimeters dilation... almost time to push" She smiles as she remains perched at the end of the bed.
Jack notices the blood on Andrea's glove and goes slightly grey, although he saw gore on a day-to-day basis something about his own partners' blood scared him. "Jack... don't you dare pass out on me" Nikki cries and grits her teeth.
Andrea looks up at him and chuckles, "Yes I don't need another patient" She replies.