Soft-Play

An hour later Nikki and Jack have got both the girls ready for Poppy's birthday party. Poppy is wearing a pale pink dress and leggings with her hair down as requested. Jack had managed to dress Maddison in a set of denim dungarees and pink top similar to her older sister's dress.

On the way to the soft play area, Nikki notices Jack is being quieter than usual. "Everything okay?" she asks as she stops at a set of traffic lights.
Jack just nods in response. "This because I invited your mum to Poppy's party?" Nikki sighs as the lights change and the car moves down the road, the soft play center insight.
"I just wish you hadn't," Jack replies still not looking at Nikki.
"It's her granddaughter's birthday, just be nice. I don't want you two arguing in front of the children." Nikki smiles as she pulls into the car park and finding a space.

Jack gets the cake from the boot of the car as Nikki gets the girls out of their car seats and all four head into the play center.

They check-in and are shown to the party room where parents can watch the children playing. The room is decorated in pink part banners and balloons which Maddison begins trying to bite. "You don't want to do that Mads!" Jack chuckles feeling a bit more at ease.

Nikki removes the girls' shoes and shows poppy where to put her bag while she waits for her friends. Poppy doesn't wait long before seeing her friends enter the party room. "Rory! Amelie!" she squeals as she runs to hug her friends.
"You put your shoes here!" she says excitedly, she shows them the cupboard to put their footwear. Nikki and Jack exchange an amused look before greeting the parents and offering them drinks. The children play in the waiting area until Melissa and Gibson arrive. "Gibbbaaayyyy" they hear as a young boy walks over to poppy causing her to laugh. Melissa shyly says hi to poppy who looks over at her parents waiting for the nod to say they can go and play. 

"Go on you lot! Be careful though." Jack laughs as he watches the five children run into the play area.

Nikki and Jack chat with the other parents and thank them for coming to the party and Poppy's presents. Jack notices a woman walk in and scoops Maddison out of Nikki's arms. "I'm going to take her to the baby area." He says coldly causing Nikki to look in the direction he was facing noticing Josephine had arrived.

She excuses herself from her current conversation and heads over to Jack's mother. "Josephine! Hi. Glad you could make it." Nikki smiles as she hugs the elder woman. 

"Where is the birthday girl? Wouldn't miss it for the world." She replies as she places a gift bag on the side. 

"They're running off a bit of energy, no doubt they'll be up for a drink in no time." Nikki smiles.
"How have you been?" she asks changing the subject. 

"Yes, I'm good thank you, Is Jack around?" she asks looking around the room.
"He's just with Maddie in the baby play area. She was getting restless." Nikki says telling a bit of a white lie.