Chapter 6

January 12 (in the wee hours...)

I didn't even have a drop of champagne, but I somehow felt like I'd downed a whole bottle on my own. A haze had came over me. The feeling of moving in slow motion. God-only-knew-how-many people were fluttering around my drawings as well as the works of others. Silky, black cocktail dresses and dark suits become one mass of excitement as they spun around me. We had been there for hours, and the crowd was nonstop. They told me they loved my work. Whether that was true or not, it did make me feel good. I actually enjoyed the brief conversations and was happy to get my mind off recent preoccupations.

But at a certain point, I'd reached my limit. So after speaking with the latest batch of visitors, I gratefully slipped aside, retreated to anonymity. In the distance, Gwen carried on distracted conversations with several people at once. She was beckoning to me, but a hand on my arm stopped everything. All activity seemed to come to a standstill as a matter of fact. I didn't have to turn around to know that Destiny was the one who had made a grand entrance.

I sneaked a glance. This time Destiny wore another formal gown; a long, satin amethyst number that billowed out like an elegant cape. I swallowed hard and looked around. Eyes were on us, but Destiny didn't seem to notice or care.

Instead, she coaxed me forward.

"Come with me, Katherine, I have someone you must meet."

I wanted to resist, to see what she would do, but I was physically unable to execute any kind of rebellion. My feet glided forward, and in minutes, we were at the top of the ladder that we had climbed together the other night. Again, we were on our knees behind the bar.

"Who are these people, and what are we doing here?" Finally, my voice had returned. "What do you want with me anyway?"

There was a comforting, almost magical aura about Destiny, and I noticed this as she gazed at me.

"I want you to meet Will."

The name rang a bell. I remembered hearing it before I faded out the last time.

"Who's Will, and why do you want me to meet him?"

"You'll find out." She patted me on the hand, then stood up and guided me forward.

The scene was about the same as that of the other night. Gabriel and Sam were involved in an intense conversation as gyrating bodies decked in baubles and beads moved to the beat of the drums. I followed Destiny through the haze of smoke until we reached one of the bay windows. Below, London's winding cobblestone streets were dark and sleepy.

I looked up, and my heart skipped a beat. Destiny had disappeared. I didn't want to be left here alone. A soft male voice interrupted my internal panic.

"I'm Will," he said as he took my hand. "Destiny wanted to introduce us, but I see she's rushed off to yet another emergency."

He had dark brown hair, blue eyes and a kind smile. Had I seen him somewhere before? I instantly felt comfortable with him as if we'd spent days together instead of seconds. I racked my brain but couldn't come up with a thing. We were closer together all of a sudden, but I don't remember either of us stepping forward.

"What do you mean by emergency?" I asked, figuring I might find out more about our mysterious friend.

"Oh, Destiny always seems to be helping someone out of trouble," Will said vaguely. "People trust her."

"Why did she want us to meet?"

"You should ask her that."

"You know. But you won't tell me?"

"I promised I would leave the explanations to her."

I should have been annoyed, but I wasn't. How could I possibly be? Those eyes captivated me.

"Do you know how to get out of this place?" I finally said. "This is the second time she's taken me here, but I'm sure I couldn't find an exit on my own."

Will grinned.

"I know the way, and I'll be at your side," he said.

I was grateful that the dimming lights masked the several shades of red that must have colored my face, but I turned away all the same.

"I didn't mean to embarrass you."

"That's OK." My voice became a whisper. "Everything about this situation is odd. How do you know Destiny, anyway? Can you at least tell me that? Who is she really?" I ran a hand through my hair and closed my eyes. "I mean, how does she know who I am and why has she been coming to my room? Who are these people and why are we here with them? I don't understand any of it."

"I've known Destiny for a few years," Will said. "I used to travel through London frequently. We met one day when I was doing some research here at one of the libraries. Now, I spend most of my time in New York, but of course, whenever I'm in London, I pay her a visit."

"But who is she?"

"She's a young woman with a lot of spirit."

His eyes were dancing, and I couldn't help being drawn closer to him.

"And who are you?" I asked. "We haven't met before, but I feel as if we have. Maybe back in New York? No, I would have remembered. Or, maybe I'm going completely bonkers."

Will pulled me close to him, and I felt his lips touch mine. My heart was racing. A fleeting thought of Paul disappeared. The room was spinning. I didn't want this moment to end—ever. Maybe it would have gone on forever if it hadn't been for the sound of angry voices. It was as if the whole place fell silent so that Sam's voice could ring out loud and clear.

"It's your fault, Destiny! Don't you see?"

"Honey, stop," Gabriel said, running a hand along the back of Sam's shirt. "We're together right here and now. That is what's important."

But Sam was ignoring him.

"If you can't control everything, then why do you pretend to? Is it selective with you? I'm tired of this lifestyle, Destiny!" The pain in his voice made my heart ache.

"I know, Sam," she murmured. "I am too, but we don't have much of a choice."

I was riveted to the scene, but in a matter of seconds, Will grabbed my hand, and we were flying across the floor and down the trap. I didn't want to leave, yet I was afraid to stay. I followed Will's hurried steps.

And then our fingers slid apart. I don't know how, but I lost him. In this maze of a hotel, I lost him.

If you enjoyed this chapter, please vote – thank you!